Mission Style Mantle Clock

Dave Richards

I got an e-mail last night from a high school industrial art teacher in LA. He's been having some trouble with SketchUp and asked for some help. Here's what I came up with for him. It's almost complete and ready to go to shop drawings.

View attachment 17866

I found a website that sells printed clock faces. They had the one I used here which I think works quite nicely. Wish I could find the website again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That small gridwork might be tricky for a shop class. What are those, 3/8" in thickness? Is there a bottom, or is it open from below? I would guess that you don't need a bottom, and it makes finishing that area easier, so I'm asking.

I like the lines. From eyeballing, I think the bottom crosspiece (I always forget which is the stile and which you call the rail) starts out double the height of the other two? Seems to work well.

I'm curious about an angled view. The rear section does not have the wide vertical parts, and I'm wondering how that looks when you're standing off to the side.

That clockface really works also. You'd better find the place where you got it, so that they can order some for the class!!! ;)

nice piece, Dave
...art

thanks for the comments, Art.

From what this guy has told me about his students, I expect they can handle the small pieces. You're right, they are drawn at 3/8" wide.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember but you're probably right about the bottom rail. They are rails like they would be on a fence. At least that's the way I remember it.

There's no bottom and since I don't know yet what the movement is like, I drew in a small clock movement and a separate pendulum movement. I put a back on it with a similar arch as the one on the bottom rail. I don't care for the radius on the top but that's how he had originally started it so I kept the detail.

Here's from a bit more of an angle.
View attachment 17867

Last edited:
Thanks Billy. Yep that's the site. Thank you very much.

FWIW, I didn't look at any similar clock designs while drawing this. I started with the drawing that was sent to me and just kind of worked it out from there.

Thanks Jerry. Yes, I started with the face sized as desired. Then I imported a JPG and applied it to the face. This took care of sizing it without any added steps.

Hi Dave :wave:,
You are getting better and better all the time. This rendition is concise but retro too. I think if you could add a boy :huh:, and a barber:dunno:, you would have created a new Norman Rockwell!
Your skill and willingness to help are appreciated. That undertop radius is a wee bit puzzling. Oh well, you did good!
Shaz :)
Happy Valentine's Day, You too, Art! :D