Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Boss

Router Boss

Anyone paying attention to this besides me? Just announced, the WoodRat is going to have some competition. It looks very interesting to me and I can't wait to see it. I am glad I have my WoodRat but I might be swayed to go to the Router Boss when it comes out.

Check out this link.

By the way, I hadn't looked in on the Creek for awhile but I did a few minutes ago. Don't pay attention to the posts there about it. Both posters (as of this writing) posted incorrect information. It is not an upgrade of the WoodRat and it is not being made by WoodRat. I don't participate there anymore or I would correct them.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Well this certainly is interesting. Just got done doing a brief look-see and reading thru the thread on the Woodrat forum and looking at the Aldel site. I missed the SMC thread so I'm glad you posted this. You might recall I had a strong desire to figure out a way to modify the Rat to cut diagonally. The Boss has it built-in though at only 30 degree swing each way, I'm not sure it gets me what I was after. Seems like they should have kept going with the design until you could get 45 each way.
    Heard anything regarding someone else taking over selling the Rat in the US or what prompted the split (amicable or otherwise?)?
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Doug, I don't know the details and probably shouldn't repeat the hearsay. I don't know who is going to be selling the Rat. I think Lewis is selling off what he has left of WoodRat accessories at a discount.

There is a fellow who made a new base plate for his WoodRat that allows it to swivel to an angle. I think aldel has it on his site. I have the CAD drawings--was going to do SketchUp drawings of it. If you are interested I can either send the CAD files or finish up the SU drawings.

FWIW, the information on the Boss is not based on production. It might be that things will change and the angle might be increased. I don't know that of course but who knows. It might happen.

Dave
    I just looked around the Aldel site and couldn't spot anything. Do you know where it's located there? If it's Mod5, that wont work for me. I picked up the multi-angle clamping jig from CG to take care of that angle, but wanted a diagonal router travel as well. If it's an actual swiveling plate mod, I'd love an SU file if you have the time.
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Yeah, it's a swiveling plate. I 'll look and see if I can find it on his site and I'll work up the SketchUp model for you.

Coincidence of timing? Or the first of more to come?
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74845

Who knows? I certainly wouldn't be dumping my Rat right now. I'll have to wait to see the Boss. Besides, right now I need to start saving my shekels again to restock the coffers. A Festool RO150EQ with a CT22 really bites into the shop fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Heard anything regarding someone else taking over selling the Rat in the US ...
    Just noticed this yesterday on Woodrat's site when you click the USA flag:
    We're pleased to announce that Bob Baker has joined us to spearhead the marketing and distribution in North America. Located in Des Moines, Iowa, Bob has 14 years experience in all aspects of the woodworking market. Most recently he was the operations director for the Woodsmith Store. Bob has considerable woodworking experience so whether you're an amateur or pro he can help answer any questions you may have about the WoodRat.

As well as being a mail order service, we are building a network of dealers across the States. So ask to see WoodRat in your favorite woodworking store.
    If you are a retailer and need dealer information or customer ready to place an order, contact Bob now:

http://www.woodrat.com/usa.html

Yeah, that happened a while ago. Don't know if anything ever materialized from that. I've never run into anyone who has actually dealt with the guy when buying a WoodRat. Perhaps he's selling them but I wonder.

It seems that WoodRat in the UK has some problems right now. Hopefully they can get them sorted out and continue in business.

I haven't heard of any retailers in the US stocking the Rat. Lee Valley is (was) in at least some of their Canadian stores. I got the impression from one of our Canadian members, maybe Frank, that he'd seen a demo of it in a Lee Valley store. From what he said, it was clear the person demonstrating it either wasn't familiar enough with the machine or maybe wanted to sell Leigh dovetail jigs instead because the demonstration wasn't positive.

I think it is unfortunate that the WoodRat hasn't done better in this country. The machine has so much capability as you know. For me it is the go to machine in my shop for all sorts of jobs. So much so that most of the time my router table is stacked up with stuff. I think right now there's a stack of woodworking magazines on the RT because I was sorting them for storage.

I look forward to the introduction of the Router Boss and I hope it'll do better than the Rat in the US. The basic premise of both machines make so much sense but for many of those who've not seen one in person, they can be difficult to convince.

The Router Boss is shipping now. I haven't got mine yet but early reports are good.