Only my wife

She calls from work to just to ask me, why are garages called garages? :rolleyes:
Her theory is it should be called a car houses sine it houses a car. After all a carriage house held carriages :rolleyes:

I told her I have no idea but she thinks I should know by the time she gets home

You supposed to put a CAR in the garage ???? Novel idea !! :rofl::rofl:

Mine started as a boat house, was a wood-shop for a while, storage unit (for my son), mechanic shop (rebuilt my old truck), back to storage unit (for daughter) but ....:rolleyes:.... nope, don't believe I've ever seen a car in it. :ROFL::rofl:

On the serious side ........

ga·ragea·ble adj.

[French, from garer, to shelter, from Old French garer, guerrer, of Germanic origin; see wer-4 in Indo-European roots.]

Word History: It is difficult today to envision a world without garages or a language without the word garage. However, the word probably did not exist before the 19th century and certainly not before the 18th; possibly the thing itself did not exist before the end of the 19th century. Our word is a direct borrowing of French garage, which is first recorded in 1802 in the sense "place where one docks." The verb garer, from which garage was derived, originally meant "to put merchandise under shelter," then "to moor a boat," and then "to put a vehicle into a place for safekeeping," that is, a garage, a sense first recorded in French in 1901. English almost immediately borrowed this French word, the first instance being found in 1902.

Found this at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/garage

She calls from work to just to ask me, why are garages called garages? :rolleyes:
Her theory is it should be called a car houses sine it houses a car. After all a carriage house held carriages :rolleyes:

I told her I have no idea but she thinks I should know by the time she gets home

Rob you should be asking her why she has so much free time at work to be thinking up these silly questions. :eek: Gee isn't she going to be disapointed when she gets home huh? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

One question deserves another. Ask her why we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?:eek:

OBTW, thanks Tony.

Wes

"The verb garer, from which garage was derived...,"

That's actually a decent etymology for the free dictionary, but it leaves out that "garer" means "to park." Here's an example of a good french parking job:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bien-se-garer-en-lancer-/846846360

here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oUZZoHhBi8

Of course, as usual, their language makes more sense than ours: why, for example, do we say we "park" a car? If we had to learn our own language it would drive us nuts! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Really mess with her...ask her why Slim Chance and Fat Chance mean the same thing? Or why they are always looking for a black box in a plane wreck when its actually red....and if the stupid black box that is red, always survives the impact, why don't they make the rest of the plane out of what that box is made of?

:rofl::dunno::type:

ga·ragea·ble adj.

[French, from garer, to shelter, from Old French garer, guerrer, of Germanic origin; see wer-4 in Indo-European roots.]

Word History: It is difficult today to envision a world without garages or a language without the word garage. However, the word probably did not exist before the 19th century and certainly not before the 18th; possibly the thing itself did not exist before the end of the 19th century. Our word is a direct borrowing of French garage, which is first recorded in 1802 in the sense "place where one docks." The verb garer, from which garage was derived, originally meant "to put merchandise under shelter," then "to moor a boat," and then "to put a vehicle into a place for safekeeping," that is, a garage, a sense first recorded in French in 1901. English almost immediately borrowed this French word, the first instance being found in 1902.

Found this at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/garage

Hell, Just tell her garage is french for wood shop! ... Shop? ..Ahhh...

Strike that, I mean house of woodworking..:p

Last edited: