Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw purchase questions

bandsaw purchase questions

I don't have a bandsaw and I'm going to be getting one in the very near future. I'm looking at the 14 to 17 inch sizes. Can I do everything with a 17 that I can do with a 14? Is bigger better? I'd like to be able to do some resawing, bookmatching etc.

John, I'd like to upgrade my band saw, but money is an obstacle right now. If I were you, I'd take a close look at the Rikon 14" saw. It seems to have better resaw capacity than their 18" model.

17" will do anything a 14" will and more. I have a 14" and I am rebuilding a 30" because my 14" is to small.30" is probably overkill, but I am in in dirt cheap. And I am tired of running out of room too.

One thing to think about. A 14" with a riser will no longer be a 14", at least in my case. Mine is now about 12 1/2" of throat. At least that is the case with my Grizzly and I assume it's similar with all of them since they all cloned Delta.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

As Jeff said, a typical 17" will do all that a smaller one will do. For things like resawing and bookmatching, I'd think horsepower is more important than the depth of cut you can make. Second in importance is rigidity of the frame. You want a good stiff frame for resawing. You can resaw on a typical 14" (6" or 12" capacity), but it's not as well suited for the task as one of the bigger saws,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    ...One thing to think about. A 14" with a riser will no longer be a 14", at least in my case. Mine is now about 12 1/2" of throat. At least that is the case with my Grizzly and I assume it's similar with all of them since they all cloned Delta.
    A typical 14" bandsaw has about 6" cutting depth. The riser kit makes it about 12". It's still a 14" bandsaw, since that's the diameter of the wheels, not the throat or depth measurement.

Typical 14" cast iron frame bandsaw = 6" max cutting thickness

Typical 14" cast iron frame bandsaw with riser block = 12" max cutting thickness

Typical steel frame 17" to 18" saw = 12" max cutting thickness

14" Rikon steel frame bandsaw = 13" max cutting thickness, but with only 1 1/2 hp motor, it'd be working pretty hard compared to a bigger one
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My 17" 2HP @ 220v saw does well resawing 10" oak but I would NOT want to go with any less power.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-16-2008 at 02:46 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have the Laguna 16HD which has around 16" of resaw cap and a 4.8 hp Baldor motor. I've been pleased with mine.
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

I am rebuilding a 20" and it appears to be a nice size, all I am waiting on now is a new blade. Of which I've not ordered yet. I'm thinking 3/4" for resaw maybe a 2 pt but is there that much difference on blade brands? Are OlsonŽ All-Pro blades ok or should I stick with Suffolk or Wood-miser?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post
    I have the Laguna 16HD which has around 16" of resaw cap and a 4.8 hp Baldor motor. I've been pleased with mine.
    Oh yeah Chris? My MM-16 has 16" of resaw cap and a 4.8 hp imported Italian motor. I haven't used mine yet! (Forgive me Sam but the DC installation isn't quite done yet.)

It's really a combination of several things......resaw capacity....horse power ......stiffness of the spine and wheel size. Some of the better resaw blade manufacturers recommend that their blades be used a 20" or larger wheels. Using them on smaller wheeled b/s will result in a shorter blade life. Another thing is the material used to make the wheels. ....Cast iron is heavier than aluminum. The increased mass should result in an easier life for the motor when cutting.
    Ken
    ------

Part of John's original post was: "Can I do everything with a 17 that I can do with a 14? " I am wondering, and he may be also, can a 17 incher be used with a 1/8" blade (successfully) for cutting sharp curves as well as a smaller machine?

Frank,

I'm a real believer in having 2 band saws. I have a 14" set up with a 3/8" blade for the intricate stuff and my Laguna 16HD set up with a 1" Resaw King. The larger band saw will take a small blade so, if you can only have one then go big...

Nice little stealth gloat there Ken. I'll be waiting on your official report once you get things set up and running.
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers