20 Woodworking “Truths”

Frank Pellow

I recently created the following page to post in a prominent place in the shop:

Somethingstokeepinmindwhilewoodworking.jpg

The list evolved in a thread on the Canadian Woodworking forum. That thread started with Rick Thom’s post of a set of 10 truths from the October 2002 issue of Fine Woodworking.

I expect that this is an evolving list and that I will modify it, so let’s have some words of wisdom from the folks here.

Frank,

That is a good set of truths to start. The first on your list is quite possibly the christain equivalent of love thy neighbor; the rule upon which all others fall into place.

Last edited:
Another One

Frank,

Great list. I have a quick release on my bandsaw and it causes some unnecessary drama if you forget to retension the blade before hitting the power, hence I made a sign that reads.
BLADE TENSION
PAY ATTENTION
The sign is stuck to the upper wheel cover right in front of my nose, no drama since the addition. :)

Heather

If your hand drill, drill bit is not cutting very well, always check to see your drill
is not set in reverse first.......before before trying too sharpen the bit.

:doh: :bang:

Last edited:
I like the list, Frank. I'll be keeping a copy of that.
Frank,

Great list. I have a quick release on my bandsaw and it causes some unnecessary drama if you forget to retension the blade before hitting the power, hence I made a sign that reads.
BLADE TENSION
PAY ATTENTION
The sign is stuck to the upper wheel cover right in front of my nose, no drama since the addition. :)

Heather
Mine is a little block of plywood that says "Tension Blade" on one side and "De-tension Blade" on the other. I leave it sitting upright in front of the blade, with the appropriate text pointed at me.

Sort of like the "Clean/Dirty" magnet on the dishwasher. ;)

Nice, Frank...

I might add:

Good skills and patience can make up for a poor tool, a good tool cannot make up for poor skills or lack of patience.

(this next one may get me some grief from the peanut gallery, but here goes...)

Just because they make a tool for it does not mean it's the right tool for the job. Use your brain before your wallet.

Thanks for the additional "truths" and please keep them comming. So far I like "Just because they make a tool for it does not mean it's the right tool for the job. Use your brain before your wallet." from Jason the best and will attempt to fit some rewording of it onto a future page.

Oh yes, I got a razzing from a couple of people about the table saw when they know how much I like my guided circular saw. Actually, I like both types of saw, but I produced a version with where the circular saw replaces the table saw:

Somethingstokeepinmindwhilewoodworking -Festool.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice list Frank......I like it:thumb:

If I could add one tip that my Dad taught me a long time ago .............if something isn't going together right,can't figure it out,you made a mistake on something, etc.. Instead of getting all upset about it just walk away from it for a little bit and when you come back it will go better,you will see something you didn't see before...............works every time:)

JEFF:D