Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have drunk the Vista Kool-Aid...

I have drunk the Vista Kool-Aid...

Got a deal I couldn't refuse on a mid-grade HP laptop: 17" screen, 2GB RAM, 250GB disc, AMD dual-core 2GHz, slots for the memory cards my cameras use, yada yada.

But of course it came with Vista installed. Played around with it for a couple of hours just to get a feel for it: ok, but not sure what all the hoopla is about. Ended up setting every setting I could find to "Windows Classic", which makes it look more like 95/98 than XP, but then again, I had done the same thing with all my XP machines anyway.

I have Quicken and Outlook running, all my IE7 settings moved over, and just finished copying all the data folders off the old machine. (Turns out the wired LAN connection of the old machine wasn't working, so it literally took all night over the wireless connection...glad I only have to do that once.)

So far I only have one issue with the whole thing: apparently they decided that being able to move the main menu bar to the top of the screen was a feature no one used, because as far as I can tell, it's stuck hard to the bottom edge. Anybody know if it can be moved?
    More to follow as this progresses...
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Lee, you are probably talking about the Task Bar, right?

I have Vista (business Edition) on my work PC and I was able to drag the bar to the top without any problem. Did you make sure that the task bar is not locked?

Right click the task bar and Un-check "Lock the taskbar" option. Then try again.

Got it, thanks for the assist. Knowing something is actually possible is always half the battle.

I'd already tried the 'unlock' trick...no joy. Turns out you have to double-click the bar in just the right place (free area right next to the 'Start' button) or it ignores you.

Welcome to the world of Vista. I bought a new computer some months ago and it came with Vista. I've had a number of problems but Microsoft keeps doing updates which seem to resolve many of the problems.

I had to buy the Vista version of several products and a couple of things won't work on Vista. For example, I have an HP scanner and when I went to the HP site to get the Vista driver there was a note saying that they're not going to provide a driver for it. So I had to buy a new scanner.

My opinion - it's still a work in progress, but generally a good operating system.

And even though my new computer is a dual processor, with much faster clock rate, the performance is not that much better. I don't know whether Vista uses more system resources or whether the disk access, and Internet access, is really the limiting factor. We really need to break the disk access bottleneck, either with multiple drives (like RAID) for a wider access, or solid state disks.

But I'll probably stay on this one for many years, like I did with my old computer.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One more note, in case you use this.

The Start menu doesn't show the "Run" command by default. If you use the run command, you can get it to show as follows:

Right click either the "start" death star, or just next to the death star.
    Select "properties"
    Select the "Start Menu" tab
    Next to the start menu button, select "customize"
    Scroll down about 2/3 of the way, check the "run command" box
    Back out with the "OK" buttons

The run command will now show in your menu.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hey Lee, welcome to the Vista experience. I have the 64 bit version installed and i have had no problem with it beside some of the programs are not Vista friendly yet. That always is going to be the case unless you are going to Linux, or Mac. I hear those have their own problems and benifts as well. Some of the hardware needs some upgrading and that again is not really something to worry about as the technology is developing at such a pace no matter what you get it is always going to be one step behind. I taught my son everything that I knew years ago and now I go to him for advice as I don't have the time to keep up with it all. I have turned off lots of the fancy features as they just use slow the system down and I personally feel that they are useless. Just flash. Anyways have fun with the system.

Drew
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Sounds like a nice laptop, Lee.

Of the 4 or 5 machines I deal with, only one of them is running Vista. I've not used it enough to find all my familiar stuff. My primary complaint is that the model of keyboard I insist on using is not supported on Vista. And it's a stinkin' Microsoft keyboard. There is a scroll wheel on the keyboard that I rely on a lot, and that scroll wheel sends the Vista display into the ozone. Just touch the wheel, and all icons (desktop, Explorer, wherever) are blown up to gigantic proportions. The only way to resolve it is to reboot the machine.

If I do a remote desktop connection into the Vista box from an XP box, it works fine.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    But I'll probably stay on this one for many years, like I did with my old computer.
    Yeah, this replaced the mid-range HP I bought in spring of 2003...in computer years, that's older than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Hey Lee, welcome to the Vista experience. I have the 64 bit version installed and i have had no problem with it beside some of the programs are not Vista friendly yet.
    Haven't encountered any of that (yet)...is it a "not-Vista-friendly" or a "not-64-bit-friendly" issue?

I've got the 32-bit version now, but when the upstairs desktop gets replaced, it will probably be quite a bit further up the food chain.

I got a Mac, (now have 2) and will never go back...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers