Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Key Fob Panic Button

Thumbs down GM Key Fob Panic Button

Does anyone here know how to disable the stupid panic button on a GM key fob? I have really had my fill of this stinking thing going off repeatedly for not much more than just looking at it. I would dearly love to find the engineer who designed it, set his own personal one off, and then force him to swallow it.

It is absolutely useless as far as I can tell. SWMBO has had one for 10 years now, and I have had one for nine, and all we have used them for is exercises in getting them out of our pocket or purse to turn the thing back off.

Oh yeah, her new Honda fob has a panic button that is recessed, and needs to be held in for a whole second. Why do they get it right and the wonder boys in Detroit can't? Of course, our Honda also has things printed in ENGLISH where our GM vehicles all have incomprehensible symbols. It's no wonder they are in trouble financially.

(grumble grumble grumble)
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

22oz waffle grid head framing hammer
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

A little CA glue??

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It's not the Panic button, it's the "where did I park my car?" button.

Last time I used my Panic button to find my silver SUV in a sea of silver SUVs was in the parking structure at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. I knew I was in the right area of the structure, but I simply couldn't find my car. I hit the button, and off in the distance, I heard my horn beeping. But the sound got softer whatever direction I went. It finally dawned on me that "in the distance" was "overhead". I was parked on the next level up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I don't have an issue with my panic button on my keys, but man do I ever have an issue with the locking system. Now this is a Ford, but the stupid thing is designed to lock all the doors automatically when you drive down the highway. I guess that is to prevent carjacking or something? I don't know, we really don't have this problem in Maine because by the time the guy gets the knife or gun out of his six layers of clothing, takes off his gloves and tries to wield the thing with frozen fingers, the driver has already determined there is no one at the four way stop, (few stop lights here) makes their turn and has moved on.

So instead of protecting me, it puts my child at risk. That is because when you stop the car, it automatically unlocks the drivers door. The rest of the car stays locked. That is one huge pain because every time you go to take the baby out of her car seat in the back, you have to fumble with your keys to unlock the door to get her.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

The other thing about this car that drives me nuts is the windshield wipers. Now we have had more winter storms this year then in the past three years combined. That means there is a lot of slush, road grime,salt and sand on the roads, so I have been using my fair share of windshield washer fluid. Here is the kicker.

The car is designed so that it makes three or four wiper movements when the spray is used. But here is the absolutely insane thing. 5 seconds later it makes another single swipe of the wipers. So what happens is, just as you get the windshield clear of grime,the wiper make an extra pass and swipe all that grime back over the window. The only option is to hit the spray again...which clears it...until that extra swipe starts 5 seconds later. You go down the road playing this try-to-get-the-windshield clear game...something you really don't want to do when its 20 below and blowing twenty!!

If I ever get to see the engineer that decided we needed this extra swipe of the wipers, he's going to be walking funny with a windshield wiper blade uniquely positioned
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    It's not the Panic button, it's the "where did I park my car?" button.
    To me it is still a panic button !

I always get that little panic feeling when I forget where my car
    is parked or is not where I thought I parked it.

Did someone steal it?
    Have I gone senile and will be walking around for days trying to find it?
    What if I don't find it, will I starve, will I ever see the family again?
    Will I have to call the wife too come down and pick me up because
    I lost the car?? ....ooh.... she would love that!

The hard part is trying to have that "not lost look" so other people will
    know I'm too dumb to remember where I parked it.
    Last edited by Dave Trask; 02-17-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a dam!
    Donít have the best tools, don't use the best woods and projects donít always turnout perfeck.
    I just feel the need to work with wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Trask View Post
    ...I always get that little panic feeling when I forget where my car is parked or is not where I thought I parked it...
    I know that feeling, Dave. Same thoughts go through my mind. I once spent about 2 hours looking through one of the big public parking lots at LAX looking for my car (at about 2:00 AM). Finally one of the shuttle drivers picked me up and we went row by row until it showed up. I had parked half asleep very early in the morning about a week prior, and didn't write down my location. By the time I returned, I was lucky to have remembered what lot I was parked in.

Travis, can you just hit the "Unlock" button on the driver's door to unlock the passenger doors as you're getting out of the car?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yeah, you can unlock the doors after they autolock. You can also turn off the autolock feature if you can figure out the instructions. I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine View Post
    Does anyone here know how to disable the stupid panic button on a GM key fob?
    Take it apart. The printed circuit board should fall out of the housing half that it sits into. Put a piece of tape across the panic button contacts on the PCB so that the button can't make contact across them. Snap it back together.

cheers