Can you put a flat panel here?

With the change up to HD TV and the flat panels many folks are needing to go for a re-fit in their existing TV spaces.
Here is the situation.

before and during tearout (16).jpg

The TV selected was wider than the space allotted so with the TV dimensions in hand I drew up 3 options I thought would work, considering he wanted the center channel speaker above the TV and his components to show, my design was to be within the guidelines.:D

Dr.Jim (1).jpg

Dr.Jim (2).jpg

Dr.Jim (3).jpg

Can you see the differences in the drawings?

Shaz :)

Add another vote for #2. And Shaz, you're getting good at the Sketchup stuff, Those drawings look almost hand-drawn. :rofl:

I LIke #2 also, but is #1 the only one where there is room for components, and that would be above the TV ??

At least, if you're taking up the same space as the original, and if the TV is wider, then it seems to me that there is NOT room for components on either side of the TV. So they either need to be above or below the TV, and #1 is the only one where I see shelving room.

...art

Hi Chris :wave:,
Just doing the upper unit, well :rolleyes: a little bit below, behind the center 2 doors.

Hi Greg :wave:,
You will get to decide, by the photo, Good guess! ;)

Hi Ed :wave:,
That it does, I had not picked up on that! Good eye!:thumb:

Hi Glenn :wave:,
Appreciate your input.
I agree that it looks less busy and he does like art work. :rolleyes: Hmmm, Maybe some long slender sculptures? Number 3 has the same look if you take out the adjustable shelves.

Hi Vaughn :wave:,
I didn't think anyone would notice except maybe, DR Richards. :rofl:
Actually it is a hand drawn divide and conquer plan. :D I draw all the fixed unchangable marks on a piece of paper, copy that, then fill in the blanks on the different copies with different ideas. Kinda like sketch up?:rofl:

Dr.Jim.jpg

I LIke #2 also, but is #1 the only one where there is room for components, and that would be above the TV ??

Hi Art :wave:,
Very in intuitive, actually #3 can also have those shelves added, they have not been drawn in.

At least, if you're taking up the same space as the original, and if the TV is wider, then it seems to me that there is NOT room for components on either side of the TV.

This is the reasoning power in you I respect so much. That same wisdom that allows you to hold on to the tip of a rocket! with no fear of being carried into space! :thumb: :rofl::rofl:

So they either need to be above or below the TV, and #1 is the only one where I see shelving room.

Had you known shelving could have been added there I know you would have deduced that #3 was also an option.

...art

The selection he made was #3 due to the fixed horizontal line above the TV, rather than the equally divided spaces of the sides in #1.
He opted for #3 over #2 because of the opportunity to situate several conponents left and right of the speaker, with the speaker upright.

Dr. Hoyle drawing accepted (451 x 600).jpg

Next, the tear out.

to me it looks like all of those components will be hard to fit in the available spaces

do you have a drawing with original dimensions? it appears the original component shelves are as wide as the cabinet doors in the lower portion so to me it would seem the shelves would need to stay that width to fit the components. it looks like as many as 13 individual components at different height shelve spacing. to my eyes none of your drawings seem to address this!

Last edited:
to me it looks like all of those components will be hard to fit in the available spaces ( Hi Mike :wave:, You are absolutely right, and the client knew that going into this re-fit. He was told that the components would have to go down below behind the doors...S )

do you have a drawing with original dimensions? it appears the original component shelves are as wide as the cabinet doors in the lower portion so to me it would seem the shelves would need to stay that width to fit the components. it looks like as many as 13 individual components at different height shelve spacing. to my eyes none of your drawings seem to address this!

Most components have a maximum of 17 1/4", som of the newer higher powered receivers and some of the storage units (mega storage for dvd) are up at about 18". This figured, I determined that there was room for several components to fit within view above the TV beside the speakers.
He lost some of the components in the refit due to obsolescence.

As far as the space below, behind the doors the outside units had room back behind the stiles where components would fit and the center 2 doors had merely a common frontal stile for the doors with no divider, thus that room behind the center stile was also made available.
Good point and good question.:thumb:

As far as my drawings addressing sizes per say, I usually know going in that what I draw is a workable thing (having taken the measurements into account as my determining factors for size) thus the measurements do seem to take a back seat. They are however at the very core of the plan.

sounds good robert, sorry if my question came across harsh, i was in a hurry when i typed it, going back and reading it now it seems that way to me. i just didnt want you to do all that work and then the guy not be able to put any of his stuff anywhere! looks like you had all your bases covered though!

sounds good robert, sorry if my question came across harsh, i was in a hurry when i typed it, going back and reading it now it seems that way to me. i just didnt want you to do all that work and then the guy not be able to put any of his stuff anywhere! looks like you had all your bases covered though!

Hi Mike :wave:,
Your look back sensitivity is an attribute and a credit to you. No offense meant and none taken.:thumb: Thanks for you input, and your attention to those details, as questions like that are the essential items in good tight plans. All worked out to the client's satisfaction.

The tearout.

Here are some photos of the extracted stiles and rails.

stiles removed.jpg

more of stile removal (1).jpg

more of stile removal (2).jpg

stiles removed (2).jpg

stiles removed (1).jpg

before and during tearout (8).jpg

before and during tearout (11).jpg

Once they were taken off "gently" it was then easy to gut the rest of the interior as the walls and shelves died within the box, thank goodness. :D

With all that said and done, we built some boxes, loaded them up, stuck them in the hole and called the painter. :D

This is what he had.

before and during tearout (16).jpg

This is what we agreed upon,

Dr. Hoyle drawing accepted (451 x 600).jpg

and this is what he got.

Jim Hoyle 12 07 001.jpg

Thanks Ed :wave:,

This shows a photo of the piece finished and decorated.

finished and decorated 001.jpg

finished and decorated 005.jpg

Before the re-fit a shelf below was used for storage of DVDs and CDs.

Jim before (1).jpg

A drawer for storage is always nice, so we added a drawer behind each of the center doors.

welcome drawers.jpg

Last edited: