Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORD Keys gripe

FORD Keys gripe

I may have posted this before... if so, SORRY!

We have two '08 Fords with 'integrated' keys (remote functions built-in... no separate fob). The keys are identical. How hard could it be for Ford to provide one black and one blue key with each vehicle? Or a key that's model specific? Or have an optional 'fancy' key that you can pay more for? I carry keys for both vehicles in my pocket all the time. They're really too big to keep on the same ring... so I'm constantly getting the wrong one out. And even if I DID have them on the same ring, I'd pick the wrong one half the time. Probably more than half since it irritates me!

It seems like such a simple thing...

File a light notch on one of the keys plastic casings or mark the center of
    one of the keys with dot of finger nail polish.

You could feel the notched key with your finger while it's in your pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kp.jpg   knot.jpg  
    Last edited by Dave Trask; 02-17-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    Donít have the best tools, don't use the best woods and projects donít always turnout perfeck.
    I just feel the need to work with wood!

I've thought of doing that very thing... but that would take the beauty out of my rant!

Kirk,
    The best I can do is have you send me one of your "08 cars to replace my "93 Dodge.
    I can't imagine the mind torture that you must be going through having to deal with not just one, but two brand new vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    I may have posted this before... if so, SORRY!

We have two '08 Fords with 'integrated' keys (remote functions built-in... no separate fob). The keys are identical. How hard could it be for Ford to provide one black and one blue key with each vehicle? Or a key that's model specific? Or have an optional 'fancy' key that you can pay more for? I carry keys for both vehicles in my pocket all the time. They're really too big to keep on the same ring... so I'm constantly getting the wrong one out. And even if I DID have them on the same ring, I'd pick the wrong one half the time. Probably more than half since it irritates me!

It seems like such a simple thing...
    Well, at least you've got "Real Keys". The LOML is out of town attending a work related class, and called from Austin tonight and related a Funny Tale. It seems that she and her Dept Head had a long weather delay before departure on their flight and were very hungry upon arrival. The motel they had been booked into was a real dump, so they had to find another one (which wasn't easy due to the Marathon there tomorrow), so she ran into the Motel and did a fast checkin for both of them, and they headed to Papadeaux's to eat, but found a 2 hr wait & went on to another place in a hurry.

After eating they went to the Dodge Minivan they had rented, (since the rental place had given away the car they were supposed to have due to their late arrival), and the other lady, (who was driving) suddenly said uh oh, I've lost the key. It must have come off the remote door opener. After looking everywhere for the key, they went back to the van to take a good look at the ignition switch to see if the key was still in the switch. It was then, they discovered that the little plastic triangle would fit into a slot in the ignition switch, and IT was the key. It would NOT, however work like a normal key to open the door though, in case the electronic remote malfunctioned. I wonder how many dollars Dodge saves a year by not making Real Keys for the vehicles now? What will they think of to cheapen them next?

Anyhow, the LOML reported that although the "DAY" had Finally ended on a positive note, it had definitely NOT been one of their better Travel experiences. At least they were laughing about it.

I've thought of doing that very thing... but that would take the beauty out of my rant!
    Well, I WAS going to mention that colour-coded key rings/tags can be had for a few pennies, but that would also take the beauty out of your rant.

I've seen replacement covers for the older style remotes that come in different colors and even artwork. Not sure if they have them for the integrated key ones yet. You could (assuming you didn't buy two cars the same color) buy a bottle of touch up paint and paint a dot on each the color of the car.

Or you could memorized the pattern on the key .

I love a man who is honest about his need to rant. Kudos Kirk, I do the same thing. Now find that triangle file. I have also used small "buttons" of epoxy to identify things of this sort.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hey Kirk I sometimes have a hard time in the dark telling 1 key from the other for my 30 year old Ford truck too.even though 1 key is round & the other isn't. Could I just borrow one of your new vehicles hmmmmmmm pretty please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1 myTruck 001.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 02-17-2008 at 03:35 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Kirk, put your rant on the back burner. You'll need it again when you lose one of the keys and have to replace it!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3