Little something for our Berkley friends.

Pete Simmons

I have been wanting to do the Marine logo in real wood for awhile. I have done many of these in 1/8 plywood.

This one is insert into a 15 x 11 Red Alder plaque.

Woods are Cherry, Maple, Walnut and Blood Wood.

Vaughn- I think that is some of the thin Blood Wood you sent me.

I am going to be in a high end Craft Show / Art Show next month and I am trying to make some special high end artsy items for there.

If there are a lot of high priced paintings at this show I will start this off with a very high price.

The picture does not do it justice. It looks much better than this picture shows.

Attachments

• Marine1smalllogo.jpg
    Marine1smalllogo.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 86
Hi Pete :wave:,
That is a very handsome piece with well chosen contrast for the woods.
Good luck at the show!

What other pieces would you be taking in?
Shaz :)
P.S. Oh and while we are at it :rolleyes:,
HOW DID YOU DO THAT! :huh::D

Show

I will post other items as I make them if they turn out ok.

Robert -Thanks for the quote - "How did you do that?" - Is exactly what I try to get people to say when they see my work. Sometimes it bites me a little when a person orders more of the item and I get into the shop then say to mysely "How did I do that?"

I use a laser to do the cutting. Many laser people use veneer but I use thin wood (0.060 - 0.125 ) as inlay material.

I raster out the space for a piece just as you would laser engrave a letter in a name. Then I cut out a thin piece of wood and glue it into that space.

Glue it all up, sand it all down, apply some finish and you have it. Many chances to make a small mistake and turn the whole project into scrap.

Dang Pete, I thing you're getting the hang of this inlay stuff. :p That plaque is gorgeous.

Shaz, here are a couple pics of another example of Pete's "how'd he do that?" inlay. The thin lines are probably about 1/16" wide:

Mountain Air 1 800.jpg Mountain Air Detail 800.jpg

Believe it

Believe it or not! ( sounds like a TV show ) the word m - ountain and the word air - I was able to pick each word up as a single piece. Very fragle but it all stayed together.

Dang Pete, I thing you're getting the hang of this inlay stuff. :p That plaque is gorgeous.

Shaz, here are a couple pics of another example of Pete's "how'd he do that?" inlay. The thin lines are probably about 1/16" wide:

View attachment 17941 View attachment 17942

Believe it or not! ( sounds like a TV show ) the word m - ountain and the word air - I was able to pick each word up as a single piece. Very fragle but it all stayed together.

Thank you both :wave:,

My goodness gracious.
That's fine!:clap: