Help me find a solution

Douglas Jones

I live, full time, in a 26' trailer. Needless to say, space is at a premium.

I have a 24" Dell high end lcd monitor on my main computer that I would like to make double use of, ie, replace my analog television that will soon enough be obsolete.

I pull local channels off a digital roof top antenna most of the time, cable when avail.

I have a cheap, low end, dvd player that I would have no problem replacing.

My question is, is there a digital "receiver" out there that will plug into my monitor and provide me my television viewing, still allow computer usage. Sounds like a bluray dvd player with receiver would be an ideal solution...are there any?

Thank you in advance....

Doug

Any big box electronic store can sell you a TV tuner card to put into your computer. If you have an empty slot available. Or some of the Video cards come with extras like a tuner.

Hubert...appreciate that idea. I don't know that I'm going to bring the big computer box into the trailer as I consolidate out of the shop/office...for computer I use my notebook. I will hook up the monitor to it when I have need for the larger view.

How about some type of receiver...I see where many have video inputs....then I can attach a couple of speakers....

Doug

What types of inputs does the monitor have?

I just saw in one of the Sunday ads (probably Best Buy) a device that plugs into your computer, USB port I assume, that is a digital TV receiver. I think it even came with a little antenna. So you could use that with the laptop if you wanted to go that route.

Matt...the monitor is a 1920X1200 capable with the following ports:
VGA (Analog), DVI-D (Digital) with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)
Other Connectors / Features
S-Video, Composite, Component, Integrated 9-in-2 media card reader/slots, 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 Ports, Kensington security port

It is 1080p capable which is what led me to think I could hook up a seperate receiver with video input for the antenna feed and use the either the dvi-d or s-video to connect the receiver to the monitor....

I really know not what I'm talking about....lol

I did at one time have my sat hooked up to the monitor through the s-video and a old stereo receiver for the audio...the sat box gave me channel control I don't have the sat avail anymore...did not want to deal with it as I travel.

Really don't want to drive anything with any computer for television or dvd viewing.

Doug

Thank you Matt. Yes, I'm aware of the coupon program and have applied. The big issue here is that I want one box in this small space, not a monitor and a TV...I'll get a wall mount for the flat screen that will swivel and articulate, that I can then push the monitor back to the wall and secure with a strap for travel. Sounds better to me than trying to secure the tube tv I currently use.

Doug

I don't think you need a tuner if you've got a dish or cable box - the monitor has componet and composite, as well as s-video - all of those are tv-standard type hookups. Your cable box, dvr, dish box, etc - all of those will have at least one of those as outputs - all ya need's the right cable between 'em and select that input on the monitor.