Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test (pic)

Test (pic)

This is a piece of cherry crotch that was turned side grain.

When I first got the blank I didn't see much of anything special about the wood, but after I opened her up, this is what I found inside.

She measures about 5-1/2 wide by 3-1/2 tall. I finished her with A/O and 3 wheel buffed.

Thanks for looking. Please comment on areas to improve. I can't see or feel any flat spots, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Please let me know what you see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0001.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	17943

Name:	PICT0002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	17944
    George

I like it George! The form looks fine to me but the shadow plays tricks with my eyes. Beautiful wood and a nice finish! I would be happy with this one if I had turned it! Very nice work!
    Steve

I see what you mean with the shadow, Steve. Thanks for commenting.
    George

george, i love cherry and your bowl is more proof that it's a great choice. good form and finish to my eye.

i like your background as well. i'm trying to dope out the photography skill and the background is still not decided. i like the gradiant backgrounds i see and yours as well. what did you use? i know i want no sheen and a neutral color.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

George, I don't know what the blank looked like but it sure looks great after it was turned. Good job on that one.

I agree with Steve on the "shadow trick". First glance at the second photo made me think that the bowl had an odd square-ish shape. A closer look revealed the true form though.

George the wood and HF are real beauties. Very pleasing to the eye.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    This is a piece of cherry crotch that was turned side grain.

When I first got the blank I didn't see much of anything special about the wood, but after I opened her up, this is what I found inside.

She measures about 5-1/2 wide by 3-1/2 tall. I finished her with A/O and 3 wheel buffed.

Thanks for looking. Please comment on areas to improve. I can't see or feel any flat spots, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Please let me know what you see.

Name:	PICT0001.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	17943

Name:	PICT0002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	17944
    Hi George ,
    That is my Dad's name and my brother's name and my favorite uncle's name and my nephew's name. I like you already but let's talk about shape!.
    It is a beautiful turning and the allowance for the bark cavity helps me feel it has taken on an artistic flavor rather than just a hollow form bowl. Make sense?

There is something, going on in the lowest 1/3 that is very subtle,I think, so subtle it is hard to pinpoint with the photo, in fact it may be the picture and on the top of the shoulder another area, possibly the picture and lack of perfect clarity.
    On the top part, it is below the lovely curve of the neck before it hits the well done curve of the shoulder. Don't change anything until you can see what they refer to and agree with their assessment!!!!!!!!

There seems to be a nice shoulder wrap higher up coming over and down smoothly then it looks like it uncomfortably turns under too quickly in the bottom third as it nears the table. It is probably just me! "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" The Wizard of Oz

You have a piece done here far beyond my turning abilities so don't feel like what I say is even true.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Very pretty wood, George, and I like what you did with it.

I think the "sharp turn" Shaz is referring to (I saw it too) is from the shadow in the second picture. The shadow definitely has a break in the curve due to the bend of backdrop, but if I look at the edge of the vessel, the curve is smooth as silk. I'm guessing the shadow is from your camera's flash (as is the bright flare spot in the center of the piece). If you can add some lighting on the sides and/or top, and perhaps turn off the flash, I think you can minimize the shadow.

These are all picture critiques...I think the piece itself is definitely a keeper.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The piece looks great George. I would be proud to have it, or to have turned it.
    Hey, just imagine if you turned it on a DVR A little inside joke.
    >>Enter witty saying here<<

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McPeek View Post
    The piece looks great George. I would be proud to have it, or to have turned it.
    Hey, just imagine if you turned it on a DVR A little inside joke.
    Don't tell me George is missing his DVR......

Well, George, you cannot have it back......... unless you want to trade?

Nice piece for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward