Test (pic)

This is a piece of cherry crotch that was turned side grain.

When I first got the blank I didn't see much of anything special about the wood, but after I opened her up, this is what I found inside.

She measures about 5-1/2 wide by 3-1/2 tall. I finished her with A/O and 3 wheel buffed.

Thanks for looking. Please comment on areas to improve. I can't see or feel any flat spots, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Please let me know what you see:).

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

I like it George! The form looks fine to me but the shadow plays tricks with my eyes. Beautiful wood and a nice finish! I would be happy with this one if I had turned it! Very nice work!

george, i love cherry and your bowl is more proof that it's a great choice. good form and finish to my eye.

i like your background as well. i'm trying to dope out the photography skill and the background is still not decided. i like the gradiant backgrounds i see and yours as well. what did you use? i know i want no sheen and a neutral color.

George, I don't know what the blank looked like but it sure looks great after it was turned. Good job on that one.

I agree with Steve on the "shadow trick". First glance at the second photo made me think that the bowl had an odd square-ish shape. A closer look revealed the true form though.

This is a piece of cherry crotch that was turned side grain.

When I first got the blank I didn't see much of anything special about the wood, but after I opened her up, this is what I found inside.

She measures about 5-1/2 wide by 3-1/2 tall. I finished her with A/O and 3 wheel buffed.

Thanks for looking. Please comment on areas to improve. I can't see or feel any flat spots, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Please let me know what you see:).

View attachment 17943

View attachment 17944

Hi George :wave:,
That is my Dad's name and my brother's name and my favorite uncle's name and my nephew's name. I like you already but let's talk about shape!:doh::rofl:.
It is a beautiful turning and the allowance for the bark cavity helps me feel it has taken on an artistic flavor rather than just a hollow form bowl. Make sense?:dunno:

There is something, going on in the lowest 1/3 that is very subtle,I think:dunno:, so subtle it is hard to pinpoint with the photo, in fact it may be the picture and on the top of the shoulder another area, possibly the picture and lack of perfect clarity.
On the top part, it is below the lovely curve of the neck before it hits the well done curve of the shoulder. Don't change anything until you can see what they refer to and agree with their assessment!!!!!!!!

There seems to be a nice shoulder wrap higher up coming over and down smoothly then it looks like it uncomfortably turns under too quickly in the bottom third as it nears the table.:dunno: It is probably just me! "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" The Wizard of Oz :):rofl:

You have a piece done here far beyond my turning abilities so don't feel like what I say is even true:D.
Shaz :)

Very pretty wood, George, and I like what you did with it.

I think the "sharp turn" Shaz is referring to (I saw it too) is from the shadow in the second picture. The shadow definitely has a break in the curve due to the bend of backdrop, but if I look at the edge of the vessel, the curve is smooth as silk. I'm guessing the shadow is from your camera's flash (as is the bright flare spot in the center of the piece). If you can add some lighting on the sides and/or top, and perhaps turn off the flash, I think you can minimize the shadow.

These are all picture critiques...I think the piece itself is definitely a keeper. :thumb: