Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking to buy my first hand plane...

looking to buy my first hand plane...

i know pretty much zero about the different style of planes but would like to get started getting to know them. first step would be to actually get one i suspect! so do you guys have any suggestions on what i should buy first? keep in mind im on a budget so it doesnt have to be a $100 lie neilson or whatever, just something decent to get me started as i am a beginner in most senses of the word

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:18 AM.

I'd probably recommend finding an older Stanley #5 as a good all around plane. If you can, find someone that can help you get it tuned up so you know how a hand plane is supposed to work. If you don't already have one, get a block plane too. They are a lot of fun when they are set up correctly!

would like home depot or lowes have anything comparable to the stanley planes? not much selection for flea markets around here

i need something that i can plane edges with and something to smooth like a table top if that helps at all

For a 'first' plane, I'd suggest a block plane. You can find a Stanley 60, or a 65, or their Sargent or Millers Falls equivalents for around $50 or so on Ebay, or maybe you'll get lucky at a local flea market.

Clean it up and sharpen the blade, and you'll be amazed at what you can do with it.

If you're a bit more flush, the Lee Valley low angle block plane Is a great one, too, but it's about $150.00.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    would like home depot or lowes have anything comparable to the stanley planes?
    NO! NOT CLOSE!!
    Don't waste you money there!!

I second Jim, a block plane is the most used and a good one to learn to sharpen too. #4 or a #5 is a great size too, but not as useful as a block plane.

My advice is simple. Email Walt Q at Brass City Records and Tools once you know what you want. Walt is straight up and honest. He will not cheat you and will set you up with a plane ready to go.

Next, check over in the Handtools forum at Woodnet. There are several part time dealers there. That's a great bunch of guys too. I have bought hand tools from several of them. Walt it one, and no far not the least bit disappointed.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    would like home depot or lowes have anything comparable to the stanley planes? not much selection for flea markets around here

i need something that i can plane edges with and something to smooth like a table top if that helps at all
    I've seen Stanley block planes at Home Depot or Lowes, but I suspect they are not as good as the older Stanley planes.

Some of the Neander guys here might shoot me for suggesting this, but you might look into the Groz planes. They are sold by Rockler, and a few of the other woodworking supply places on the web. I bought a Groz #4 (I think that's right number) that one of the guys at my local Rockler had already done a bit of tune-up (a.k.a. fettling) on. I'm sure it's not a L-N, but it's a decent plane, and the price was well within my budget.

I still need to learn more about setting up and using planes. As Ed mentioned, it sure would help for me to use one that's actually set up right, so I can get a better feel for my intended goal.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Agree . . .

allmost all new ones don't get it. Get a old Stanley #4 ( or 5 1/4 if you can get hold of one cheap ) and blow the ten or fifteen bucks to have it sharpened by a pro. The rest of the basics aren't too hard. Just remember . . . its a slippery slope with NO bottom !

Jeff's advice is excellent. You should take that route. If, for some reason, that doesn't work out, try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stanley-No-5-Woo...QQcmdZViewItem

All I did was to go to ebay, search for stanley plane, and sort by least expensive. What you want is a "user". Find someone who sells lots of them, and is willing to tune it for you.

But Jeff's advice is way better. There are lots of plane lovers out there, who sell users on the side...

Thanks,

Bill

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 09:17 AM.