Good technique for cutting wedges

Howdy, All!! Last night, I modified the joinery design of a project I'm working on for my kids. I need to cut a number of small wedges for a wedged-tenon joint, and am looking for some guidance on an efficient, safe way to do this. The wedges dimensions will be roughly 1.5"L x .75"W, and about 3/16 thick at the top. Like I said....small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Keith

Keith, when I need to make parts that small I always turn to a sled for my table saw. You can build a block and fence system that will work like a tapering jig to hold the pieces. Safest way I know.

Sled is a good idea. Add some sort of method for clamping the stock to the sled for the table saw use. I'd be happier doing it on the bandsaw, myself and cleaning up the cuts on the beltsander.

Keith I am forced to make small parts all the time for my custom wooden models. When it comes to cutting small parts I head to two machines, my bandsaw or my scrollsaw. That is because high powered blade spinning machines have enough airflow from the spinning blade to blow them almost anywhere.

The bandsaw or scrollsaw does not have kickback, and allows you to really hold the part without fear of cutting off your fingers. I always make my parts long, then cut off the small from that just to be safe.

If you don't mind doing stuff by hand, cutting them with a dovetail saw or miterbox gives you the ultimate control and safety.

I'd be inclined to use my trusty old tablesaw. With an 8 or maybe 10 inch width of lumber cut the taper similar to this cutting board end. Then rip into strips the desired width followed by cutting each to length.

Attachments

• cutting board corner 3-9-07.jpg
    cutting board corner 3-9-07.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: