Thread: Combining Lacewood With.....what?

Combining Lacewood With.....what?

I know this is a very subjective question, but I bring it to you folks anyway. I'm hoping to start a project where the primary material will be lacewood. I've never used it before, so I'm looking for suggestions on what might be a nice looking secondary wood, something that complements the color and figure of the lacewood.

Thanks very much!!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Keith, if you're looking for an accent type, I'm thinking a contrasting wood like Ebony, or Wenge would look good. Otherwise

Keith,

About a year ago I built a sofa table (one that sits behind the sofa) with Leopardwood field and legs with Birdseye maple for stretchers and banding on the top. I will look for the pictures. It turned out very elegant and well received by my wife.

I made a quilt rack using lacewood and figured maple. I thought this was a nice contrast but it is just a mater of preference and opinion. Here is a photo for reference.

I don't know if it is common for lacewood to to be riddled with small cracks running along the grain but mine sure did. I filled and stabilized these cracks with ca glue and sawdust.

Here's a box I made with lacewood sides and a canary wood top:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacewood Canary 1 800.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	18044 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacewood Canary 2 800.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	18045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacewood Canary 3 800.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	18046

The pics don't show it real well, but the brown in the canary wood matched the browns in the lacewood.

Billy's suggestion of a solid black wood sounds like it'd look nice.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

A few years ago when I was fairly green, I combined lacewood with red oak. It's subjective but I still like it after several years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LW-OAKJB1.jpg  
    Got Wood?

you might look at quarter sawn sycamore. I've used it for a variety of projects - great figure, light color, relatively easy to work.
    Paul Hubbman

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Baker View Post
    I made a quilt rack using lacewood and figured maple. I thought this was a nice contrast but it is just a mater of preference and opinion. Here is a photo for reference.

I don't know if it is common for lacewood to to be riddled with small cracks running along the grain but mine sure did. I filled and stabilized these cracks with ca glue and sawdust.
    Way Cool Dewayne!!!

Sorry to tromp on the post but couldn't help it...

Back to the primus, Lacewood in itself is so lovely that it needs no embellishment. It depends on the project, the Quilt rack like Dewanes, did wonders for the wood but a small box will stand on its own and needs no accompanying wood to highlight, I've seen some georgeous projects where the "Secondary wood" was the same general species although not figured, it made the accent of the Lacewood explode as it stood on its own surrounded by "meager specimens".