Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else use the $99 ryobi table saw?

anyone else use the $99 ryobi table saw?

just curious if anybody else has the $99 ryobi table saw from home depot. ive had mine for awhile now it works ok but i wish i had something bigger and better. only reason i bought it was i needed a TS for a home improvemnt project i was in the middle of and i didnt have any more money for something better at the time

one thing that bothers me is there doesnt seem to be any blade adjustment option and my blade doesnt appear to be parallel to the miter slot

guess you cant ask for much at that price!

Don't have one but, if it got you through your DIY project, it has served you well. With the money you've saved you can feel better about 'moving up' if that is what you want to do.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

yeah it has so far done everything i need it to do, i just have to be extra careful when im crosscuting. most of the time i just use my miter saw to crosscut and use the TS to rip and it works fine. i was hoping maybe somebody else had one and knew a way to adjust the blade trunnion i believe its called

Mike, I used to have a $99 Delta benchtop TS, but I don't recall what adjustments it had, if any. Have you turned your saw over to see how the motor/blade arbor is mounted to the underside of the table top? I suspect there are several screws holding the whole assembly in place. If you see them, loosen them and I think you'll find you can adjust things. Usually if you loosen all of them but one, you can still get the necessary adjustment.

If you do adjust things to match the miter slot, don't forget to adjust your fence, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

well after almost a month of not being able to work out in the shop i was able to get out there today and mess with the saw. i flipped it over and tried to figure out how to adjust it, the only thing i could see that would make any difference was loosening the 3 bolts that held the motor to the rest of the inner workings. i set the saw on its side and loosened the bolts and then checked the alignment, it was perfect! tightened it all back up and flipped it back over checked everything again, still perfect! was so simple i dont know why i put up with it so long.

also managed to make zero tolerance insert for it, which was a bit of a pain because of the way the opening is, its rectangular in shape and the blade is offset and about 3/8" from one side so theres very little material on that side for the insert. took about 4 tries to get one that didnt disintergrate when i started up the saw i had a nice piece of oak i was gonna use but it blew up on the first attempt so only thing i had left was some 1/8" hardboard but it works so im ok with it for now. rearranged my saw next to my "work bench" and realized the bench makes a perfect outfeed table so thats a plus as well

anywho im very happy with the saw right now although i still have my eye on a new delta when the money tree blooms again
    Als ik kan

I have one. WAAYYYY too small, so I built this cabinet for it:

It's a big help - but still, my next major shop upgrade is a "Real" Table Saw. Either that, or a tank of gas.

-Kevin in Indy
    "Heroic? He fell off his bloody Aeroplane!"

I use an inherited $89.00 Delta table saw. Works fine and is powerful enough for what I have asked of it. Biggest problem it is very light and will slide across the floor in use and/or try to tip. Base isn't really conducive to adding weight. Plus, being light it is handy to move around.

A fella on another forum (he may visit here, too) had a small bench top table saw. He built a huge cabinet around it and designed and built his own Bessemer Rip Fence clone. It were not a pretty sight, but it got the job done for him till he found his own money tree to buy a bigger saw. While we all dream of that dream shop with the very best of every tool, reality strikes and we deal with what we have.

But I think that the slimmer ones budget is at the start of this hobby, the better the woodworker he/she will be as they advance. Lots of skills are learned out of necessity for lack of a special tool that one has had to do without that become the foundation for a higher level later on.

At least that is my hope considering my very humble beginnings in this hobby.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

here is the zero clearence insert i made for my saw. so far its working great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insert.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	18643

jerry, i agree 100% i think some people rely on the newest high dollar gadget to get the job done and forget the basics of the craft. not having the money to go buy that new widgit lets people use their imagination to over come the no money obstacle which brings out their creativity and makes them that much better

for instance last night i was trying to figure out how to cut a large panel on my saw and since the table is quite small that is a problem and one of the main reasons i want a bigger saw. however i got to thinking and figured out if i used the edge of the table as a guide i could clamp a long straight edge to the panel and use it as a fence in conjunction with the edge of the table and it worked awesome effectively making the rip capacity of the little saw nearly unlimted. i could have went out and bought a $1000 table saw to get more table room but instead i used a free piece of scrap and some thinking
    Als ik kan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    here is the zero clearence insert i made for my saw. so far its working great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insert.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	18643

jerry, i agree 100% i think some people rely on the newest high dollar gadget to get the job done and forget the basics of the craft. not having the money to go buy that new widgit lets people use their imagination to over come the no money obstacle which brings out their creativity and makes them that much better

for instance last night i was trying to figure out how to cut a large panel on my saw and since the table is quite small that is a problem and one of the main reasons i want a bigger saw. however i got to thinking and figured out if i used the edge of the table as a guide i could clamp a long straight edge to the panel and use it as a fence in conjunction with the edge of the table and it worked awesome effectively making the rip capacity of the little saw nearly unlimted. i could have went out and bought a $1000 table saw to get more table room but instead i used a free piece of scrap and some thinking
    If I am see what you did in my head right it is extremely dangerous. Not to say I have not done things like that before but one must be extra careful when over coming the lack of gadgets.
    As for the delta saw I would stay far far away from any thing delta makes any more. Trying to keep the price point there product quality has gone in the crapper. Just my 2 cent though.
    I am up to 6 TS 3 makitas 2 delts 1 dewalt. the dewalt will out cut all the rest put together and you can't beat the rack n pinion fence on it. For a bench top saw.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 03-15-2008 at 06:27 PM.