Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Birdseye on Pedestal, Please Comment

Harvey, Michigan

Second Birdseye on Pedestal, Please Comment

I really appreciate everyone's comments on the first Birdseye and since I am allowed up to 6 entries to the local Art Exhibition this June, I am once again asking for everyone’s critique and/or comments. Taking the vast majority of comments of the first version into consideration, this second one is different; overall darker in color, a different center of balance and is slightly taller than the first piece.

The hollow form is out of curly birdseye maple (endgrain) and is 4 ˝” diameter x 2 7/8” high. It was stained with Watco Light Walnut Danish Oil to really make the birdseye pop. The pedestal and finial are out of cherry and have been stained with Varathane ‘Espresso’ Wood Stain to dramatically darken the grain. Everything has been sanded to 400 grit and at this time has no other finishes applied. The height of the piece with finial in place is 13”.

Attachment 18047

Also, I once again ask for name suggestions.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks for looking!

Goodland, Kansas
    Steve that is beautiful. Like I said the only thing if were me is I would have made the pedestal shorter. Just my preference though. I like how you used a little stain to darken the cherry and pop the birdseye. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely stunning, Steve. I must, however, agree with Bernie. The pedestal is tall enough to make it appear - to my untrained eye - a bit out of balance.
    But I still think it's beautiful.

Near Winchester, VA
    To my completely untrained eye, it looks unstable and fragile. That being said, the piece is extraordinary in shape and beauty. Your proportions seem right, but perhaps the gentlemen are correct in that it seems to have too much "stem".

For a name, Birds Nest came to my mind when looking at it. Like the type of birds that build nests in really dangerous outcrops that look like they'll fall right out!
    I keep cuttin, but it just ain't gettin any longer!!!

Cornwall, England
    I preferred the first one but couldn't say why so I put them side by side.
    First one seems simpler and more in proportion. Second definitely looks top heavy in comparison IMHO

Hope this helps to see the difference

Los Angeles, CA
    First one's hollow form had a more pleasing shape and I think its finial was much more beautiful.

Second one's stand has a better flow but it does look longer for the overall piece.

ABQ NM
    Another awesome piece, Steve. I also think the pedestal looks a bit long or leggy to my eye, but because of the length and thinness of the pedestal shaft, the piece has a certain "that's amazing" quality to it as well. The finial and pedestal forms are nice and complimentary to the vessel, although I think I'd prefer to see the bigger bulb on the pedestal instead of the finial. It might help to lower the visual center of gravity a bit. (As usual, these are personal opinions to be taken with whatever size block of salt you feel is appropriate.)

I still have a ways to go before I can make finials or pedestals that come close to yours. Great job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Mason Michigan
    Steve my friend,

You just keep getting better and better!

Fort Worth, Texas
    Another beautiful piece! You've certainly achieved the delicacy you were shooting for.

I'd almost prefer to see it without the base. The finial seems much heavier than the base which makes it appear out-of-balance.
    I may be lost but I'm making good time!
    Three Seasons Woodturnings

Houston, Texas
    Hi Steve ,
    A very delicate piece. What do you think about the shape/proportions/balance/color contrast/continuity, etc?
    Your ability to do fine woodworking is unquestioned!
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Here is how