Engineering question ?

How much does a house weigh?

Answer: More than a rural two lane bridge can hold.

Some one is going to have some explaining to do!

Attachments

• ATT00001.jpg
    ATT00001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 91
  • ATT00002.jpg
    ATT00002.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 93
  • ATT00003.jpg
    ATT00003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 89
I think that house's property value just went up. I can see the sales sheet for it now....

Picture yourself sipping your coffee overlooking a beautiful creek, but watch your step out of the garage!:rofl::D

Hmm. Reminds me of Falling Water. Though I think Frank Lloyd Wright might have used more concrete! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't think so. When Frank Lyold Wright built Falling water, he cantilevered one section of the home out over the stream. The workers at the time told him he needed to reinforce it but FLW got belligerent and started screaming that he was the great American architect and he knew what he was doing.

Back in the 1990's when Falling Water was restored, they added supporting structure to this area as it had dropped considerably with visitors being barred from standing on this cantilevered section.

One of the hardest lessons in life is to learn to listen to other people...especially the people of the construction trades...they know what they are doing because they do it every day.

As for the house, apparently the movers never heard of the national bridge load standards huh?

I would have to guess they had to use a crane and fly it. I wonder how much structural damage it sustained, looks like the ridge in the middle of the house buckled.

In defense of the driver and the moving company, Moves like this are permitted by the state, almost all states set your route ;) One of the exceptions is PA, you can pick your own route but PA does review it and still has final say as to whether or not it's safe.

In the end it could very well be a state employee in trouble.

As for getting it out, It wouldn't surprise me if they jacked it up cribbed under it and drove it out. It would take a huge crane to lift that.

I'm no house mover but I did watch Mega Movers a few times :rofl: :rofl:

I'll bet that made a heck of a noise when it went down. I sent the pics to my dad, who's a civil engineer. He'll get a kick out of them.

When I sent it to my dad, I also copied my sister (also in civil engineering) on the e-mail. Here's her response:

Well, I beat you to this one! Ha!! I got it here a few weeks ago and forwarded it to Dad. He had fun sharing it around his office. I think the best fix would be to cut out the ends of the house and have an instant covered bridge! Might have to beef it up a bit, but it looks like it would be stronger than the original bridge was. I would sure hate to be the truck driver on this one . . .

Unless he Deviated from the "Permitted" Route, you cannot place blame on the Truck Driver. As Stated above, except in Pa., the State DOT's either Pick, OR Approve the Requested Routes after Verifying the load ratings of the Roads and Bridges. I would suspect that; 1. either the Permitting Official made an error checking the Route's Load Rating, (doubtful), 2. The Structure's load rating was wrong, (possible), or 3. The bridge's structure that failed had deteriorated below it's Posted Load Rating, (possible), or 4. The House was MUCH heavier than was calculated for the Permit, (possible, but unlikely if it was a qualified moving company).

I agree with the others, that with proper "Beefing" it would make a Mighty Fine Looking Covered Bridge. (Probably bring more money too as a Bridge than as a house).:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(The LOW Ceilings should keep oversized/heavy loads off of it in the future too).

Just plant a 4 sale sign in front of it.
I can see the real estate flyer now.

Recently renovated ranch with a 2 car attached garage. The scenic view of the nearby stream is to die for. The well will never run dry. Some moisture in the walk out basement.:rofl::rofl::rofl: