Trend or Triton?

Gord Rock

I've been told by my doctor that I have to quit woodturning until I come up with a way to stop breathing the dust. Turns out I'm very allergic to birch and a few other types of wood.:eek::doh: I haven't done any turning for two weeks and it's really bugging me!!!:(
Can anyone tell me whether you'd recommend the Trend AirShield or the Triton Respirator? And why? I'm sure there are people who use one or the other and I'd like to know the pros and cons of them. Or is there another one out there I don't know about and should consider?
Thanks,
.....Gord

Last edited:
Gord, I can't talk about the Trend, but I have a Triton and I love it. I was experiencing some sinus ailments from sanding larger items like bowls and things. I got the Triton and never looked back. And I've not had a problem since. I can see how it might fog up during warmer days, but I know enough tricks from my scuba diving days to beat that.

I've got the Trend, and it works as advertised, as far as I can tell. My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy compared to the plain ol' facemask I was using, but it has spared me a lot of dust. It also slips around a bit when I'm wearing it, but I blame that on the shape of my head. :eek:

I have the early Triton. The hose is quite stiff and pushing the helmet forward; that makes wearing it very tired on the neck. I got the updated hose kit and it makes wearing more comfortable. It works, but it has some drawbacks. The battery pack is built-in. You can't have a spare battery pack charged and ready. The air supply is adequate but not strong.

My wife shares the hobby, I got her the 3M Breathe Easy. It has a better hard hat and the air flow is more comfortable than the Triton, especially on hot humid days.

Without PPAR, exotic rosewood would make my eyes itch, sneezing and nose bleed.

I have never tried the Trend.

I use a power mask that Woodcraft sells.. it's less expensive than the Trend or Triton, (which I couldn't afford), and works quite well. Biggest problem is I find it does interfer with the face shield some, but I've learned to work around it.

I've not seen or used the Trend, it does get good reviews, so I would think it is a good unit.

I have the Triton, I like it, it works well for me.

I did a >> Mini Review << of it a while back.

I still like it, I use it when doing a lot of sanding, but the one use I LOVE to use it for is roughing out a bunch of bowl blanks, which can be a rather messy thing to do, well the Triton keeps me breathing easy, and it keeps the chunks and splatter out of my face. The hood and drawstring keep the chips out of my collar area too, so I don't get a shirt full of that stuff.

Cheers!

Okay, I've done some checking and I think, for me, the Trend is the way to go. On this page,

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...Supplies___Airshield_Respirator___trend?Args=

there is an option called a Face Seal Airshield Respirator. Can anyone tell me what that is?

Also, from the same page, what are Visor Overlays?Is it something you put on the Face Shield to keep it from getting scratched?

Thanks for the help!:wave:

Face Seal Airshield Respirator. Can anyone tell me what that is?

Also, from the same page, what are Visor Overlays?Is it something you put on the Face Shield to keep it from getting scratched?

The Face Seal is the piece that goes around the face to seal it, it's a replacement part, you don't need one yet.

You are correct on the visor overlays, I believe you get one extra when you buy.

Check these guys before you buy -- they are great to work with and the lowest price I found back when I bought mine.
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/trend-airshield-trend-air-shield.html

Good Luck, Tony

Good call, Gord. The extra battery and overlays will be very useful. :thumb: When I bought mine, it was barely used and the seller included a 10-pack of overlays, spare filters, a replacement face seal, and four batteries. I've been glad to have the extras..you will too.