Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future Car

Future Car

The Science Channel - Future Car

In general I like the shows and the beautiful HD picture BUT,

They are getting way outta hand in their "DATA"!

It was so bad I even sent them a letter.

Here are a few things I sent them.

1. Hydrogen - Most abundant isotope in the universe, you fail to mention the power used to break it down.

2. Hydrogen Storage - I think you went as far as saying the flame from Hydrogen will NOT burn human skin. Where did you get this fantasy? Do you think if I camped out under the Space Shuttle (Hydrogen Powered ) at lift off I would only get a nice tan??

3. H-Car could even power your house, again where is the free hydrogen coming from.

Poor info like this only degrades the integrity factor of all your shows. You need to check your facts and consider the other side of the debate prior to broadcasting.

I too watched that program with much interest, Pete. And had many of the same questions. But I didn't (probably should have...) contact them about their "facts".

I'll try not to get political here, but I simply attribute such reports to media bias. One of the reasons that many Americans take the stances they do, or believe what they do is because they've been "fed" this crap by the media. Why? Look for the money trail. It "ALWAYS" about the money these days. Unfortunate? Yes indeed, but who has the money to fight it (because that's what it would take)? People like you, me and even knowledgeable university chemists and physicists certainly don't. I'll leave my remarks at that to try and avoid an argument.

Not to hijack the thread, but in the same vein...

My wife and I were watching the Weather Channel last weekend and the meteorologist was commenting on the ferocity of the tornadoes that had recently ravaged the south east. She noted that, "one of the tornadoes had even crossed state lines."
    After a few seconds of blank "did she really say that?" stares my wife and I laughed for about 5 minutes non-stop.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post

My wife and I were watching the Weather Channel last weekend and the meteorologist was commenting on the ferocity of the tornadoes that had recently ravaged the south east. She noted that, "one of the tornadoes had even crossed state lines."
    After a few seconds of blank "did she really say that?" stares my wife and I laughed for about 5 minutes non-stop.
    The must have had a crew out fixing it right afterwards, because I just checked my US map, and none of the state lines look blown out of place. I still wish they had big black state lines you could see from an airplane.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post

Contrary to popular opinion, being on television does not make you intelligent.

Safe Hydrogen - Some call it water!

Please hijack the thread.

I would like to learn more examples of how TV is educating us.

Is this site great or what?

Take today. In just a short amount of time I have learned that some of the more malacious tornados out there can even cross state lines.

I was all set to buy some land that straddled a state line so that I would be able to just move over the line if bad weather was spotted on one side.

What a fool I was thinking I could actually cross a state line when now I know that something as powerful as some of the smaller more peaceful tornados cannot.

Speaking of Hydrogen again - Do you know most large AC Generators (as in power plants ) use Hydrogen inside the coils of the generator for cooling?

Every once in a while a generator blows up I wonder what it is that does that? I am sure it would not be the safe to store and use Hydrogen.

The Future Car show also went on to show the picture of the blimp Hinderburg burning. They explained it as (I missed exactly what was said ) some kinda oxide on the outside of the metal skin/frame causing the fire. Maybe we should get some of that powerful oxide to power our future cars. That blimp fire sure looked powerful to me.

I'm not sure how much faith you have in NASA scientests, but one of them along with a UCLA engineering professor claim that it was actually the "dope" they used on the skin of the Hindenburg that caused the fire. In essence the skin was coated with an effective rocket fuel of sorts (cellulose acetate and aluminum powder). You can read the details here, if you'd like.

Interesting link, Billy. I didn't know about the rocket fuel/skin dope theory.

Sorry, I can't resist...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Interesting link, Billy. I didn't know about the rocket fuel/skin dope theory.

Sorry, I can't resist...

Mythbusters did a program on just this topic - can't remember, but I think they determined the dope to be a contributing factor, but not the cause?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Did Learn

I did learn something today. Thanks for the link. I had never heard that theory.

I also agree with this statement from the link.

"Actually, its great buoyancy and extremely high diffusivity in air make for a very rapid dispersal before ignition can take place," Van Vorst further noted. "Gasoline, on the other hand, with its heavier-than-air vapor, simply accumulates until a flammable mixture is formed and ignites." In fact, he said, hydrogen is even "safer than propane, and is on a par with natural gas."

Fire wise I believe Hydrogen is about as difficult as these other fuels to control.

We have all seen some type of gas fire. Tanker truck, auto gas tank, home gas systems and more.

via places I worked I have seen

1. a large high pressure hydrogen gas truck spring a bad leak then burst into flame.

2. A boiling water nuclear reactor disassociates water as part of its process. The excess hrdrogen is vented off via the large stacks. Hydrogen accumulated in the stack and there was a explosion.

3. At a place that bottled hydrogen by chemical reaction on ammonia the heated ammonia caught fire and proceeded from there with vigor.

BTW - no one was killed at any of those incidents.

Do we have the technology to use hydrogen, of course. I am just saying it is not easy and we need to use some caution.

Hydrogen happens to be very hard to contain in a metal tank. It also interacts with metal and causes hydrogen embrittlement.

My biggest complaint is I keep hearing the "most abundant" line. Yes it is. Something like 43% of the known universe is hydrogen. It is just that people forget the fact that most of it is combined with something and at this point in time it takes alot of energy to seperate the hydrogen.

It is kinda like telling the drowning man 10 feet underwater that he is surrounded by oxygen. Hope he figures a quick and easy way to seperate the oxygen so that he can use it.

To change the subject a little I get even more upset over electric cars. Again people forget where the electricity comes from.

I have recently been studying some energy options. The more I look into it I feel that without a breakthrough the best thing we might do is start teaching our grandkids how to live in mideveil times.