OO Spider

Curt Fuller

Just so you don't think I've gone off the deep end, there is a reason why I turned this. There's a local art center that is having an upcoming show and the theme is "3 Legs or More", open to any medium. I've been on a good luck streak with local art shows because nobody ever enters any wood turnings. So, I usually get accepted just because it's a unique medium. Don't really know what made me think of a spider when I thought of "3 Legs or More", but this is what I came up with. It's mostly Osage Orange with some small pieces of redheart. It's all turned pieces (40 pieces) with a little bit of carving on the mouth and the front claws. It stands about a foot tall and is about 14" diameter. The body is just an egg, the head is a hollow form with the opening carved out and the inside painted with india ink, the rest is spindles joined by tenons. If you notice, She's even wearing a couple bracelets.

OOspider5.jpg

OOspider3.jpg

Very neat Curt, if you have gone off the deep end, tell us where the edge is so we can jump in too :D

Hope you do well, that looks like a lot of work, but it sure is cool! :thumb:

Very cool, Curt. I keep scrolling back to the pictures and smiling. :D
...I've been on a good luck streak with local art shows because nobody ever enters any wood turnings...
I suspect you'd be on a good streak even if there were other turners...you have a knack for thinking outside the box and still making it look nice. ;)