Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Start

A New Start

Well Everyone, here goes. I have lurked around here for quite a while, even posted a couple of times over on the flat side. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new Nova 1624-44 with a supernova 2 chuck with several of the jaws and a set of beginners tools from Lees valley. Here are the first things to come of the lathe. Please don't laugh, but if you do, enjoy it. In the picture of the lathe there is a bed extension made to hold the tail stock with a 28 inch drill bit. I have a man from Washington State coming to Arkansas to teach me to build flutes. Anyway, to make a long story short I hope to be around here for a while. Give me something to do in my old age. Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thing 1 and  Thing 2 #1.JPG   New Lathe.JPG  

Hi, Jack, welcome to the Turning side of the Family.
    If I had to pick I'd have to say I like thing 2 better.
    Also, looks like a nice shop you have, from the little I can see.

Hi Jack, welcome to the spinny side

I've heard good things about that lathe, I think for the price, it is hard to beat. I have the Nova DVR 3000, got a good deal on it used, and it was before the 1624 came out.

The first two turnings look like bonkers to me, and that is what is required to come off you lathe first!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Rock View Post
    Thanks for the remark about the shop, I always feel like its a little lacking, even though I have just about everything a man could ask for in there, it's about 28 x 38, I think have a great day. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Rock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Hi Jack, welcome to the spinny side

I've heard good things about that lathe, I think for the price, it is hard to beat. I have the Nova DVR 3000, got a good deal on it used, and it was before the 1624 came out.

The first two turnings look like bonkers to me, and that is what is required to come off you lathe first!

Cheers!
    Stu, thanks for telling me what those are, I didn't know. Jack

Welcome Jack to the turning side of wood. Great start with a great lathe. I have the Nova DVR XP. I think the 1624 is a excellent lathe for the money. Looks like you got a good start turning. I remember my first were just about like yours and as my granddad always told me you gotta start from scratch sometime. I saved my first turning, my first bowl, first lidded box, etc. just so I could look back at where I started. Shop looks good Jack.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome to the spinny side of town, Jack. That's a fine pair of bonkers you've made there. Clean, classic, understated lines, yet the full functionality is retained.

As Stu said, pretty much everybody starts out with a bonker or two. I have my first one in the kitchen. By keeping it there, hopefully LOML will grab it instead of a rolling pin when it comes time for my beatin'.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Welcome to the spinny side of town, Jack. That's a fine pair of bonkers you've made there. Clean, classic, understated lines, yet the full functionality is retained.

As Stu said, pretty much everybody starts out with a bonker or two. I have my first one in the kitchen. By keeping it there, hopefully LOML will grab it instead of a rolling pin when it comes time for my beatin'.
    Vaughn, thanks so much for those kind words, funny you should bring up that about the kitchen, thats where my second one is, I thought I would frame the first one for my living room wall. Jack

Hey, Jack,

That set up is way cool. Wish I had something like that!

You done real good with those bonkers! My first piece didn't even survive the ride on the lathe! I almost didn't either! If nothing whizzed past your head on the way to orbit, you're doing pretty good so far!

Hmmm... flutes! Never thought of them! That would be quite a trick...

Check this out: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/making.html . I hope you process is less complicated than his...

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 02-23-2008 at 09:14 PM.

You need a long drill bit? Check out this thread:
    http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=7806
    Welcome to FW, your name caught my attention. Don't know why, maybe we have crossed paths, or swords, somewhere. I'm in Mountain Home, not real close to you. Just need a couple more from Arkansas and we can take over this place.
    Looking forward to seeing some completed flutes. I believe we have a number of flute makers in the state, no need to import one from across the continent.