Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chefs knife

Chefs knife

I ordered some knife kits online (don't remember where from...on my shop computer). Here is the first one, a chef's knife. I've got a couple of filet knives to build yet and a pocket knife kit. I used some tiger maple scrap on this one and finished it using some mineral oil. Not sure it's the best finish method, but it's what I had available. Anyone else built knives before? If so, what type of finish do you use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01033.jpg   DSC01035.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Almost too pretty to use!

I would think that the mineral oil would do you well, as it can easily be refinished over and over.

Nice job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice knife! I don't know what the norm is for knife handles, but I made a few spatulas from curly maple and used mineral oil on them. The one I kept gets re-oiled every few months. I doubt a knife handle would need it that often.

Again, very nice - especially for "scrap" wood!

Wes

Nice work. If you remember where you bought the steel, please post it here. I'd like to do some of those.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'll echo what Mike said. Great job, and if you find the supplier, please let us know. My dad would go nuts over a knife like that, especially if he knew I made it.

[Edited to add...]

I just Googled "knife kit" and got a boatload of hits. Off to go read...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'll echo what Mike said. Great job, and if you find the supplier, please let us know. My dad would go nuts over a knife like that, especially if he knew I made it.

[Edited to add...]

I just Googled "knife kit" and got a boatload of hits. Off to go read...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>
    Nice job Darren.

A daughter will go nuts too. She had this pearing knife, made from an old butcher knife, in her possession before the mineral oil fully soaked in. Ipe wood doesn't make the most beautiful knife scales, as does the Tiger Maple, but it sure is functional around water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knife  -  pearing ll - 3-14-07.jpg   Knife blade only 3-12-07.jpg  
    Last edited by Bob Wiggins; 02-25-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Lookin' good. Echo others, mineral oil is fine. That or nothing. An initial beeswax finish might be good also.
    I have some sources for knife stuff. Will sort through and try to post a link of a good supplier later.

Here is a good source. Some fine blades there at reasonable prices. No modern kitchen cutlery that I saw. I'll look for another source, or two.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(2gq...t.aspx?catID=9

Another, still not with what I'm looking for but lots of choices.
    http://www.atlantacutlery.com/atlant...CategoryID=415

Last one: This is one of the biggest knife makers supply houses in the country. He has a lot of stuff more modern than I would normally look for. (pre 1776) In his supplies, look for screw type rivets that are over-length. They mount the slabs then are ground flush to avoid the problem Darren had.
    http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pa...frameStore.htm
    Last edited by Frank Fusco; 02-25-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: dumb misteak, wat else?

Thanks for all the compliments, I'll try to get out the shop tonight to lookup the supplier, still have the box sitting there with some of the other blades.

The hard part was shaping the scales once they were epoxy'd on. The blade came sharpened, but left the cardboard cover on it and sanded away with the oscillating sander. I did wear leather gloves and have since bought a leather apron, so might feel a little more safe on the next few.

Bob, nice job on the knife and getting the pins done to a uniform size. I had bought too short of pins and they were hard to get expanded on the ends, so I think the epoxy is mostly holding the scales on.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Thanks for all the compliments, I'll try to get out the shop tonight to lookup the supplier, still have the box sitting there with some of the other blades.

The hard part was shaping the scales once they were epoxy'd on. The blade came sharpened, but left the cardboard cover on it and sanded away with the oscillating sander. I did wear leather gloves and have since bought a leather apron, so might feel a little more safe on the next few.

Bob, nice job on the knife and getting the pins done to a uniform size. I had bought too short of pins and they were hard to get expanded on the ends, so I think the epoxy is mostly holding the scales on.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>
    I can take no credit at all for the pins. Those are a two piece press fit rivets that came from the broken handle of the butcher knife. There is a name for them but I don't recall at the moment. The epoxy is probably holding more than the pins on this knife also.

If the pins you use are brass consider anealing the ends that will be peened. For medium soft, heat to cherry red and air cool. For real soft, heat to cherry red and quench in water. The pin ends will work harden as they are peened.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...Last one: This is one of the biggest knife makers supply houses in the country. He has a lot of stuff more modern than I would normally look for. (post 1776) In his supplies, look for screw type rivets that are over-length. They mount the slabs then are ground flush to avoid the problem Darren had.
    http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pa...frameStore.htm
    I ended up ordering the "competition cook-off carver" from them. (Towards the bottom of this page.) I couldn't decide if I wanted brass or stainless steel pins, so I ordered material for both. In their instructions, they recommend only gluing the pins in and not peening the ends over. I'll give that a try for the first one, and decide if I like it or not. Found another site -- www.knifekits.com -- that has some cool mosaic pin material.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com