Back in October (yes, October!), it was Ms Perez's birthday. Ms. Perez is from San Antonio, and she's one of several people the U keeps employed to keep me on track (believe me, it's not a one person job!
Anyway, I wanted to make her something for her birthday. So I slapped a big old hunk of cherry on the lathe, and started going at it. It was almost done when suddenly it flew apart. Dang! I asked her supervisor what I should do. She said "Don't tell her, just make another one, and surprise her when it's done." Well, one thing led to another, and then over christmas break I found myself staring at a chunk of green Hickory. So I slapped it up on the lathe. Everything went fine, it had a nice shape, I finished it with lacquer, but it was, well, I don't know, a little dull. It just wasn't as nice as I would have liked. I resolved to do better.
So, friday night, I chucked up a chunk of the linden I brought down from Vermont last summer. It had an odd shape. The first thing I did was to turn it round, to see what I could do with it. As I turned it towards the form it suggested, it wanted to crack. So what else is new? But here's the wierd thing:
I got out the thick CA (gap filling) glue. I've done this before, and always had trouble hiding the glued spot. Anyway, I got the outside sanded. Suddenly, I remembered seeing something (not sure where) about people using CA as a finish. So I said 'what the heck', and rubbed the whole outside with CA. Shined right up. Hmmmm...
The inside took awhile, but went without incident. I went back to shellac for the finish. Outside looked great, inside less good. But I soldiered on. Went out yesterday morning, and the inside was thinking seriously about cracking. Even though it was getting a little out of round, I decided to sand the inside, and do the CA number. Stopped the crack, *and* it looked great. Double hmmm....
The outside bottom, though, needed some work, as the wood is soft, and there were some chuck marks. So I made my first ever jamb chuck. It did serve it's purpose, but I wasn't thrilled with the performance. So I finally bit the bullet and started a longworth chuck (first time I've ever done any plunge routing). I had a fantasy that everything would just turn like magic as I reverse rotated the two disks. That didn't happen, but it will be seviceable as soon as I find some rubber baby buggy bumpers...
Anyway, here's the objet (not sure it counts as a bowl!) About 8" wide by 6" high, linden, finished with CA and shellac.