Well I'll Be

Wes Bischel

This is a new one for me. I wanted to get into the garage (to get the darned snow blower - but that's another story:rolleyes:) pressed the opener button but it only went up 3" or so. Tried a few times and it wouldn't budge from there. So I opened the other door (manual - no opener) and low and behold this is what I found!
garage door opener on Falcon.jpg

Yep, it sheared off both straps!!:eek: (supplied with the opener:rolleyes:).
garage door opener overhead.jpg

It looks like the metal fatigued right at the bend.
garage door opener close up.jpg

I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before - though I'm sure it has! I'll run out and get some new angle stock - a bit heavier this time - and mount the stinker back up there. Hopefully the ol' girl doesn't have a dent in the roof!

Just another project to add to "The List".:doh:

Wes
Oh, and I checked the installation manual to make sure I didn't screw up the installation (which wouldn't be much of a surprise) - nope, looks just like the diagram provided.

Ouch! Any damage to the top of the car?

Mine did something similar last year, but I didn't install it. The previous homeowner did, and only used 1/8" screws (and SMALL washers) to bolt the pull to the garage door.:eek: It went up about a foot and came crashing down. When I went inside to see what happened it quickly became obvious. Due to the damage caused by the small bolts and washers, I fabricated a plate of 1/4" aluminum to "back" the door brace and reinstalled with 3/8" bolts. Works fine now.;)