View Poll Results: Cellular or Land Line?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I cut the cord - Cellular only

5 10.42%
  • Land line only - trust the wire!

9 18.75%
  • Gotta have both!

34 70.83%
  • Other options?

0 0%
  • Neither - Smoke signals work just fine for me.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dropping the land line - Your opinion?

Question Dropping the land line - Your opinion?

I'm giving serious consideration to dropping our home phone all together and using only our cell phones. Both my wife and I work, no kids at home, and about 1 out of every 4 calls we get on the home phone is someone (political, non-profit) we don't want to talk to anyway. I don't think we used our home line for more than 100 min last month.

With the new plans available, and very capable equipment, I think we'd be better off.

Anyone out there cut the cord and gone cellular only? Any pluses or minuses?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I wish I could drop the land line, but my DSL comes through it.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

I would be happy with only the cell phones, but the LOML thinks we need both...we have it packaged with our cable TV and internet so it might actually save us some money??
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Although my alarm system has battery and cellular backup, the first attempt to notify of a break-in is the land line. The inability to use the land line triggers various other events in the reporting process. Since it is only for alarm use, I have the cheapest and dumbest land line service available. My cell is for everything else.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-27-2008 at 01:55 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I dropped my land lines several years ago and for the most part, have never looked back....

The one thing one must do is really evaluate your usage. I have had plans from very basic 200 minutes usage a month in the very early days, to plans for 4000 minutes plus all the "free" minutes they throw in for off peak usage when I had my business running. I just checked my usage for this month and I'm already exceeding 1500 minutes combined...thankful for accumalated roll over minutes this month!

So far, no solicitor calls, glad for that!

Our Sprint wireless internet's TOS specifically prohibits VOIP and our alarm and DirecTV require a phone line so we dont' have an option. Our cell phones can be questionable at times too, so we'll have a land line for the forseeable future. We actually have two--one for my work line and one for home. If the cell service improves, we might move the electronics to the office line and drop the home line.

In our area 911 service is not tied in well with a cell phone. No instant address or anything like that. Thats why I keep mine. Just in case. Even if I am hurt I call 911 and they know where the call came from. Even if I can't tell them.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Not enough options in poll. Like: considering cutting the cord.
    Like Rennie, we are seriously considering getting rid of the land line.
    Probably keeping it out of habit.
    Downside to cutting is I do not like getting 'chatty' type calls on the cell, especially when I am somewhere not convenient to take a call.
    I have a feeling we will do it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Not enough options in poll. Like: considering cutting the cord.
    Like Rennie, we are seriously considering getting rid of the land line.
    Probably keeping it out of habit.
    Downside to cutting is I do not like getting 'chatty' type calls on the cell, especially when I am somewhere not convenient to take a call.
    I have a feeling we will do it, though.
    Thanks for the additional insight - I racked my little brain trying to think of additional responses - for some reason I never thought of the one that I was in the midst of!

My wife and I are looking into a PDA style phone - we both need to carry our contact list and calendars with us. I also need to have my home and work caledars and contacts in sync. The PDA will sync with both and keep them aligned. Having email won't hurt either. Nice thing about the newest technology - caller ID - helps me avoid some of those "chatty" calls.

Fortunately, we live and work in an area with very good, strong coverage. I thought about the 911 thing - haven't quite made up my mind on that one. I have a couple friends on the force - I think I'll ask them.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I'm one of those who don't particularly care for cell phones. My landline works in every room in the house. I'm totally deaf in my right ear and have about 30-40% normal hearing in my left ear. With the phone in my office I have a pretty good volume control so I can carry on a reasonable conversation without having to constantly ask someone to repeat themselves. My landline rings in about 4 different rooms in the house and with a 3 phone cordless set, it rings in the shop too. Just my situation and opinion.
    Ken
    ------