Shallow Redwood Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This shallow bowl/platter is a piece of old growth redwood, about 12 1/2" diameter by 1 1/2" tall. The pics don't really do the curl in the wood justice. The wood was very dry and wanted to break out in chunks, so it was hard to get a clean cut in it. It also started out about 14 or 15 inches in diameter, but the edge kept fraying. In the end, the 80 grit gouge saved the day on the last few tough spots. The finish is once again Antique Oil followed by lacquer, buffed on the three wheel system.

Bowl 039 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 039 - 05 800.jpg Bowl 039 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 039 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 039 - 03 800.jpg

Comments and snickering are welcome. ;)

Yep Vaughn, that's the way to turn such a gorgeous platter/shallow bowl.
Very surprising wood, the right choice for this platter/shallow bowl.

Ad :thumb:

Well, dang it, Vaughn, that's my favorite piece so far. I have a deep, irrational, abiding love of redwood, no doubt connected to misspent childhood times in the Giant Forest. All these eastern hardwoods I'm stuck with are nothing compared to that! ;)

You've really brought out the beauty of a difficult material! If that doesn't sell, in California, I don't know what will... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

That outstanding piece of the wood is matched by your ability to make the most of it Vaughn, simple lines keep the focus on natures inbuilt beauty.:clap::clap:

Wow is right. Beautiful. I believe every piece of wood has a soul, and our job is to bring its inner beauty and heart to the surface. You've certainly done that. Wow again. :clap:

A previous poster asked if this was a platter vs. a bowl. To me a platter is more flat than curved. This piece seems to curve up more at the sides than any platter I've seen.

Either way... very nice work. Kudos.

Hey, thats a keeper! I have a few old growth RW boads laying around, sure dont have that kind of figure, made a couple of flatwork pieces with it. It turned real dark red/brown when the oil hit it, pretty, but not much grain definition. I think yours is really one of a kind, did you have any idea it would look like that when you started it? Bet that was some dusty turning, huh? Light as a feather too, I imagine. Barry

Thanks for all the kind comments. It is indeed a pretty unique piece of wood. The picture of the blank on eBay looked promising, but it wasn't until the oil hit it that it really came to life. It was pretty soft to turn, although the growth rings were harder than the stuff in between them, so it wanted to grow ridges as I sanded it. Barry's right...it's pretty light in weight.

MJ was on the money with the bowl vs. platter question. I figure the inside of a platter is flat, but a bowl is curved. This does look pretty platteresque in the head-on shots, but it looks more like a bowl in person.

In looking at this piece in the daylight, I've spotted a few scratches and faint tool marks on the bottom side near the rim. Since this is a special piece of wood, I figure it's worth re-doing the backside and making it as right as I can make it. I'll put it back into the queue once more and get it redone before I try to sell it. I spend more time sanding, finishing, and refinishing than I do turning. It's getting to the point where I figure I turn for free, but I charge to sand it and put a finish on it. :doh:

In the dictionary under the word "chatoyance" this bowl is pictured. What an incredible piece of wood. As you turned it the grain/curl/chatoyance must have changed constantly and I bet it was difficult to know when to say when.

I think you chose the perfect place to stop. Just a lovely showpiece.