Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Knife

Trout Knife

Tonight I finally got around to working on the trout knife kit that I bought for my dad. We were over at woodcrafts today and I found a piece of lace wood that I thought would look nice. I did take some step by step pics along the way, so here it goes...

1. Cut out the scales from the lace wood.

2. Epoxied one of the scales to the blade

3. When the epoxy dried, I drilled out holes for the pins using the holes in the blade as a guide.

4. I epoxied the other scale to the blade.

5. Using the holes drilled in the first scale as a guide, I drilled the holes thru the other scale.

6. I put some super-glue in each of the holes and drove the pins in with a hammer, then cut the excess off with a hack saw. Finally I spread the pins a little by hammering them on the anvil lightly.

7. Wearing leather gloves, I shaped the handle on the oscillating sander, filed and sanded to a smooth finish, then applied mineral oil to the handle.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Excellent! Your dad's gonna love it. And thanks much for the picture series. I'm looking forward to trying one myself, and I suspect more will be on the way.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

He will love it. Nicely done.

Nice work! Lucky Dad! You up for adoption?

Darren, I like the wood choice and what you did with it. If your dad is anything like mine, he'll love it.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Nice work! Lucky Dad! You up for adoption?
    How much money do you have to will?

Just kidding...wouldn't give up my parents for all the money in the world
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Burt View Post
    Darren, I like the wood choice and what you did with it.
    I was wondering if I made the right choice. I had 3 spinters before I left the store...but turned out pretty good.
    Darren

Looks like you got nailed by the build your own tools bug too huh? Nice looking knife, and an even better handle. When are you getting into hand planes?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Been looking for the knives for some lathe tools to build handles for. I bought some wood carving chisels a few years ago and made some cherry handles for them. Used some the 1/2" copper plumbing caps for the ends of the handle, turned out real nice (will post some pics when I get a few minutes in the shop again).
    Darren

Here are the chisels, I bought the chisel blanks, turned the handles, drilled out the copper caps to slide the shafts through and epoxied them together. I've had them done for a while but thinking about sanding flats on the bottom of the chisels to keep them from rolling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01055.jpg   DSC01056.jpg  
    Darren