Tonight I finally got around to working on the trout knife kit that I bought for my dad. We were over at woodcrafts today and I found a piece of lace wood that I thought would look nice. I did take some step by step pics along the way, so here it goes...
1. Cut out the scales from the lace wood.
2. Epoxied one of the scales to the blade
3. When the epoxy dried, I drilled out holes for the pins using the holes in the blade as a guide.
4. I epoxied the other scale to the blade.
5. Using the holes drilled in the first scale as a guide, I drilled the holes thru the other scale.
6. I put some super-glue in each of the holes and drove the pins in with a hammer, then cut the excess off with a hack saw. Finally I spread the pins a little by hammering them on the anvil lightly.
7. Wearing leather gloves, I shaped the handle on the oscillating sander, filed and sanded to a smooth finish, then applied mineral oil to the handle.