Wine cabient finished

Jeff Horton

Here is it is. 99% finished. I still need catches for the doors and I have to touch up the inside a little. First time to use Minwax Spar Urethane and that stuff is thin! It runs like crazy!! But I love the way it looks.

finished1.jpg finished2.jpg finished3.jpg finished4.jpg

As you can see, two shelves on the left side and drawer for odds and ends. Wine rack on the right. There will be glass shelf in the upper part. But she said to wait on the glass and she would get it once I got it to Houston.

Hi Jeff :wave:,
This is going to work out really well.
You have alot going on down underneath behind closed doors with the drawer, shelves and wine rack:thumb: and the display area up top is just perfect with great visibility through the front. Great job and a wonderful gift! Wise waiting on the glass.:D
Shaz :)

Very nice. Out of curiousity, why would you use the spar urethane over gloss polyurethane. I thought the spar was mostly for projects more exposed to the elements. I was looking at both cans the other day and went with the polyurethane. I found it a bit thick for my purpose and was considering thinning it, though the manufacture recommends not to. Maybe if the spar is thinner that would be more to my taste.

Alan

Terrible Job !!!! I will email you my address to ship it to me to fix.. Great Work

Ben, I will give you my sisters contact information and you can discuss it with her.

I fill it only fair to warn you that she is a Chef and REALLY knows how to use a filleting knife. ;)

Very nice. Out of curiousity, why would you use the spar urethane over gloss polyurethane. I thought the spar was mostly for projects more exposed to the elements.

Your right, it is intended for outdoor use. But that just means it is (or should be) more flexible to allow for expansion and contraction and that it has some UV protection in it. So it doesn't meant it can't be used indoors.

Given my choice, I would have sprayed it with Shellac. But this is a wine cabinet and that means it's likely alcohol could get spilled and ruin the finish. I wanted to spray lacquer but the more I read about the smell I got concerned since I work in a basement shop. So I had to go shopping.

I looked at poly's but I am just not a big fan. I am sure they have improved but I still remember when they looked like you laminated a sheet of plastic on wood. I have used a fair amount of varnish on boats in my day and Spar Urethane was the closest thing I could find locally. If I could have found a true varnish that is what I would have used. So availability and familiarity are the reasons.

looks very nice, what kind of wood is that?

Walnut. An absolute pleasure to work with too!