Vaughan & Bushnell 903 plane (not mine)

This is just a pointer in case anyone is interested.

There's a Vaughan and Bushnell 903 plane (equivalent to a stanley #3) for sale on eBay, item 180218943051. The plane is pretty dirty and has rust but looks like it would clean up well. The wood (knob and tote) seems to be whole.

The reason I point it out is that the V&B 900 series has the frog mounting like the early Bedrocks and it has a forged steel body so it won't break if you drop it. I have a couple of V&Bs and I find them to be good planes.

I'm not the lister, nor do I know the lister. Just want to bring it to the attention of anyone looking for a good user plane. Based on the condition, I don't think collectors will be interested.

Mike

[some added info on V&B planes. The 700 and 900 series planes have forged steel bodies and the early bedrock frog. The 900 series is higher quality than the 700 series. The 800 series has the early bedrock frog but has a cast iron body. The numbering follows Stanley - a 903 is equivalent to a Stanley #3 (same as a 703 or an 803) - a 907 is equivalent to a Stanley #7, etc.]

[Just so nobody overbids on this, V&B planes in good condition (meaning clean, whole, and not much pitting or loss of Japanning) go for maybe $65 - $75.]

Last edited:
The plane is pretty dirty and has rust but looks like it would clean up well. The wood (knob and tote) seems to be whole.

Based on the condition, I don't think collectors will be interested.

I think that is an understatement! :) When I first saw it was thinking no way. I was not familiar with that brand. So I bet your right and it will go cheap. I don't need another one or I might be interested.

That looks like an equivalent of a #3, size wise? I have a couple of those already.

hi mike :wave:

what your serious ? :eek: that rusty old thing you've got to be kidding :rofl:

i have seen and restored many planes in the last bunch of years . is there something that special about this particular plane that i should give it a look ?? in any other circumstance i would pass over it without a moments hesitation :huh:

please enlighten me if theres something i missed :dunno:

hi mike :wave:

what your serious ? :eek: that rusty old thing you've got to be kidding :rofl:

i have seen and restored many planes in the last bunch of years . is there something that special about this particular plane that i should give it a look ?? in any other circumstance i would pass over it without a moments hesitation :huh:

please enlighten me if theres something i missed :dunno:
1. The V&B has the bedrock frog.
2. The 900 series has a forged steel body so it won't break
3. In good condition, it's a good plane, equal to an early bedrock

There's nothing about this particular example that makes it stand out, other than a possible opportunity to pick up a well made plane for a low price, providing you're willing to put some sweat equity into it and will put up with the likely rust pitting on the body.

For those of us who find the bedrocks too expensive, there are some planes which are the equal of the bedrock but generally less expensive. The V&B 900 series is one of those.

As they get better known, the price goes up, unfortunately.

Mike

[If I didn't already have two V&B #3 planes (one 903 and one 703) I would have bid on this and kept my mouth shut.]

Last edited: