Dogs, scoops and mistakes

Its just gone....

Yeah we had this plastic scoop we used to dish out the dog food to the 3 dogs we have, but ever since last week it just disappeared. I think it might have got thrown out by accident or something. I am not sure, but its gone. Still it was nice having a scoop to dole out the food instead of using a measuring cup. So the other day I got fed up, headed out to my shop and built a new scoop.

Well for starters I got the proportions wrong. Its kind of big, holding enough dog food in one scoop to feed six dogs. This makes the thing kind of unwieldy and fills up the entire dog food bucket.

The other mistake I did was using copper. I don't have a lot of metal sheet goods in my shop so I used what I had, and copper was it. Not only will the copper tarnish over time, the surface is so slippery that the dog food just slides right out...all of it so you really have to be careful of how much you tip the scoop.

Certainly not my best woodworking, as this is 100% utilitarian, but it does do what it was intended too, just not very good. (The wife hates it). I do plan on buying some brass screws today so that the thing does not look too hideous with those black drywall screws in it. Oh well, it only took me 20 minutes to make,so maybe I should just take the time and build a new one, but a bit smaller and made out of stainless steel instead of copper. :D:dunno:

Scoop.JPG

Kenworth_Eating4.JPG

Last edited:
hey is that a basset?

Yep sure is. He's getting old though, and no longer runs Rabbits. I have been contemplating putting him down because of health issues and whatnot, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. Kenworth and I go back a long time, and was one of very few friends I had when I got divorced.

I guess I am getting soft in my old age.

we have a basset as well. yours is doing exactly what her favorite thing is to do which is eating lol that and sleeping

sorry to hear about your dilema, i hope everything works out for the best with him, thats gotta be a tough decision