Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah I wear one and always will.

63 33.33%
  • I wear one, but deep down know I shouldn't because of safety reason

28 14.81%
  • No way, no gesture of love is worth me losing a finger

55 29.10%
  • I have to, the Mrs wor Mr would kill me if I didn't. Lose a finger or lose my life...

3 1.59%
  • I take mine off, but only inthe shop.

28 14.81%
  • I used to take mine off, but I kept forgetting toput it back on. See question 4 of why I wear it now

2 1.06%
  • I am not married (and pity those of you that are) so I would not wear one even if Iwas

4 2.12%
  • I am not married (but am jealous of you that are) so I would wear one if I was married

1 0.53%
  • I have had mishaps with my wedding band

14 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding bands in the Shop

Wedding bands in the Shop

Do you wear a wedding band in the shop, or are you too afraid you could lose your finger or mar up your work during the finishing stages?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Couldn't vote .... no option for me ....

I've been with my sweetheart for 30 years this fall ... married for 26 years this April ... I've never owned a wedding band ... couldn't afford one when we married and don't need one now to remind me how much I love her.

But .... in a shop where I had to work close to anything moving I wouldn't have:

• rings
    • watches
    • chains
    • loose clothes
    • long hair
    • etc...

and when I cut in the bush I wear safety chaps, steel toed boots, hearing protectors with a face screen, .... I should take a photo of the cut in my chaps on the left thigh ... no blood in my case though.

cheers eh?

Someday, when my shop is roofed and I'm moved in... I'll take it off when I'm out there. I'll have a specific spot where I'll leave it when I'm working. Love my wife, but there are enough risks in the shop that I wouldn't want to add to the dangers. Also, it is task dependent, If I'm working with power tools that's when it will be off, if I'm just vegging out there, I'll wear it.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Couldn't vote .... no option for me ....

I've been with my sweetheart for 30 years this fall ... married for 26 years this April ... I've never owned a wedding band ... couldn't afford one when we married and don't need one now to remind me how much I love her.

But .... in a shop where I had to work close to anything moving I wouldn't have:

• rings
    • watches
    • chains
    • loose clothes
    • long hair
    • etc...

and when I cut in the bush I wear safety chaps, steel toed boots, hearing protectors with a face screen, .... I should take a photo of the cut in my chaps on the left thigh ... no blood in my case though.

cheers eh?
    I have been waiting for my wife to wash my jeans before I took a picture of the carnage. I did not want to get anyone upset in case they were squimish about my DNA soaked into the cloth. Anyway here is a picture of what my jeans looked like after the saw bit into them.

Edit: In case some of you don't know,a few weeks ago I cut my thigh slightly when I ran a chainsaw into it. These were the jeans I was wearing at the time.

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 02-29-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I've not worn my wedding band for over 42 years! The "Medics" had to fight like heck to get it off when my ring finger swelled up after it was hit with a maul by a Private!
    After that I never put it back on.
    Jim

I wear mine. Death before dishonor!

I have way less fear of flying bowl blanks than of flying frying pans!

Thanks,

Bill

I have worn mine for 42 years and can't get it off. My joints have grown such that the only way it could come off now is to be cut off. No grease, butter, K-Y, nothing helps.

George
    2B1ASK1

I used to take mine off when I went to the shop, but apparently I've gained some weight in the last few years and it was getting harder and harder to remove. Now, I'm not sure I could even get it on. She's not terribly happy about it, but she understands.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Even though I voted I take off in shop, I really take it off many other times. Anytime I'm working, when I'm doing cold weather activities (fingers contract and risk losing ring), swimming for same reasons as cold weather. Risk of injury or losing ring not worth it. I don't need a ring to remind me I'm married. (take that any way you want)

I had a couple of "close calls" with my wedding ring in the metals shop eventually quit wearing it. Seemed for a few years buddies were losing a lot of hide wearing theirs. I understand it is a symbol of love, my wife appreciates I love her with or without a ring.