Mesquite and Blackwood

Neal Addy

Mesquite and Blackwood. 5-1/4"W x 5-1/2"H. Sanded to 800, finished with SAC, and buffified.

DSC_1287.jpg

Neal, every once in a while you should post pics of one that's not perfect. It'd make us mortals feel a bit better about ourselves. :rofl:

Gorgeous piece, Neal. :bow:

Neal - I've looked at this piece off and on and I still like it! Love the color of the Mesquite - really rich! Have to ask though - what tool do you use to cut such fine details on your finials? You have seen my feeble attempts at finials but I have been using bowl gouges and a 1" skew. Figure you have to have something fairly small to create such fine features... feel like sharing? Thanks!

Steve, I use a 1/4" (mini) skew for most of the fine detail work on these. I actually have two, one with a normal bevel and a second with a longer and thinner bevel for reaching into the deep coves. You've got to be careful with it as it can get pretty aggressive.

As a side note, Cindy uses a 3/8" spindle gouge for all her detail work. I'm practicing with it just to have more than one option. Can't say I'm as comfortable with the gouge as with the skew yet.

Neal - for what it's worth - you are great at what you are doing now! Don't know if I would be trying to change anything at this point. To me, I just don't see how you could get even finer details than what you have already accomplished but I understand it is always nice to have options!

I was so busy staring at the finial details that I never noticed it was out of plumb. :doh:It only took me one CD case under the left side of the monitor to fix it though. :rofl: