Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salt n Pepper Mill Set

Salt n Pepper Mill Set

Here is a salt and pepper mill set I made for someone. I used the crush grind mechanism bought from Woodcraft. I like these mecahnisms as I think they are a little more ergonomic. I used maple and bubinga. Also for the picture I am using my new photo tent purchased at Costco. (Thanks to Stu for that recommendation)

Salt and Pepper Mills

Hey Alex, those are really neat, love the form, very different from what we usually see

The photo tent sure makes it easier to take nice pics eh?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks very good Alex, nice shape, good choice of using these two woodspieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    The photo tent sure makes it easier to take nice pics eh?

Cheers!
    Thanks guys. Stu, your'e not kidding easier. You'd never know it but there is a heap of stuff scattered all around the tent .

This is my first time to make these with the crush grind so I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has used them and if so what is your method for cutting the 5mm instep groove to accomodate the spring clip on the mechanism? For this I made a scraping tool but I am interested in what you did.

That's a great-looking set, Alex. They look very comfortable in the hand. I've not turned any mills yet, so I'm no help on your question. (I think for my first mills, I'm going to use the kind with the threaded knob on the top, since it looks like they'd be easier to drill...fewer steps in the profile.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great looking work Alex - and you guys really have me thinking about getting one of those tents!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Great looking mills and the pictures look great. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Alex - nice photo! Very crisp focus and colorful!

I like your mills! Good color combinations and the form has a modern style to it which looks like it would be comfortable to use! Nice work!
    Steve

Alex those look great. You know I got to thinking and those could double as fish bonkers too. A great thing to add to the fishin box. Bonk em and prep em for dinner all with the same tool.

The presentation is great Alex, did you try different back drop colors with it? What type of lighting are you using with the tent? did you have to use any filters with it? How about a pic of the tent too?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Alex those look great. You know I got to thinking and those could double as fish bonkers too. A great thing to add to the fishin box. Bonk em and prep em for dinner all with the same tool.

The presentation is great Alex, did you try different back drop colors with it? What type of lighting are you using with the tent? did you have to use any filters with it? How about a pic of the tent too?
    We never salt our fish. This is Japan, we use soy sauce (and a little lemon and daikon oroshi (grated radish)).

For the photo tent I usually try to take my pictures in natural light. Also I never use a flash so I almost always have to take pics during the day. Our place has excellent light so I don't have any problems. Will send you a picture of the photo tent.