Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding Windmill Video

Exploding Windmill Video

There is a whole lot of power in the wind. Incredible footage.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/4276...zegt_krak.html
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I'm guessing the title of the video, "Windmolen zegt krak", is Dutch for "Windmill goes boom-boom".
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow. I played it several times, looks like one of the blades bent and hit the base (fiberglass) and causing it to collapse/self destruct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bladestruck.jpg  
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 03-02-2008 at 02:30 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Wow. I played it several times, looks like one of the blades bent and hit the base (fiberglass) and causing it to collapse/self destruct.
    I think ya got it... I also replayed it over and over to try and pause it exactly at the moment to see exactly what happened. After what you said, replayed again and I think you're right. Anybody read the language to confirm? I suppose the wind just exceeded it's design limitations. My guess is that if they have to design the thing to withstand something WAY above normal it would cost too much. Then again, maybe this was a prototype and they were testing it out, thus the cam on it. Maybe they were just waiting for some serous wind to see how it would take it. If that's the case, it's back to the drawing board.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kauffman View Post
    I think ya got it... I also replayed it over and over to try and pause it exactly at the moment to see exactly what happened. After what you said, replayed again and I think you're right. Anybody read the language to confirm? I suppose the wind just exceeded it's design limitations. My guess is that if they have to design the thing to withstand something WAY above normal it would cost too much. Then again, maybe this was a prototype and they were testing it out, thus the cam on it. Maybe they were just waiting for some serous wind to see how it would take it. If that's the case, it's back to the drawing board.
    Those things normally have a system built in for High Winds and/or Overspeed conditions that will "Feather" the blades, (turn them like a knife edge into the wind) so they don't get any action from the wind and will either very slowly windmill or have a brake stop them completely. Apparently they had a "Slight" system failure somewhere in the overspeed protection system.

IIRC....On "How it's made" on the Discovery Channel...they showed them making one of those. They had a built in braking system that functioned like a governor. If it got going too fast, the brake began engaging to slow it down at the same time it feathered the blades.

What I remember about the brakes was that the mechanism looked very similar to the old mechanical advance used on points on the old automobile ignition systems. The faster it turned, the more centrifugal force caused the brakes to be engaged.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-02-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    That's cool Travis
    i agree!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Have had three different wind turbines here in our county working. First one sent a blade half a block away straight into the ground like mumbley peg! Second one after three different instances, has been dismantled, third one sent a blade through the owner's kitchen ceiling, anyone standing at the sink would have died. Fourth one is built and no approval for hooking it up, been sitting idle for over a year.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Wind farms are sprouting all over the country like weeds.
    Mebbe the technology isn't up to matching ole Mother Nature yet.
    Many of those huge blades are built in Arkansas. I think it is a Dutch owned company though.
    That was pretty dramatic. Scary.

If you go to western IA on I-80 there are several dozen of these and in northern IA on I-35 there are even more...lots of money is being made in leasing land to the power companies.

That video of one exploding and Jonathan's stories are scary...don't think I would want one in my back yard.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website