Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cannon from the new guy

A cannon from the new guy

I don't know if this is really flat work but here goes.
    This is the link to my cannon making adventure.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2428752...7604023182259/
    Thanks for looking.

I think the cannon making adventure definitly qualifies as woodworking. Thanks for posting.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

You and Frank should get a long great. He is into that stuff too. Myself I just toy with potato guns, but that can get a person into enough trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpAJOPzKK-M

As for wooden Cannons, I watched a myth busters show where they made a wooden cannon and used steel loops to hold the barrel together. The show got kind of goofy as deliberately tried to blow it up, but I think you could easily make a potato type gun out of wood and steel rings I would try it, but I have already tempted fate way to much this winter, so I'll present the idea to you and the professional cannon makers out there.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

You definitely caught my attention with that one. I haven't had a chance to look at all the pictures yet but will after church. Where did you get the barrel, South Bend Ordinance Works? If you did and talk to them again, tell Barney I said "Hi". I'll be interested in seeing your wheels, those are a challenge. Your choice of wood might not be traditional but certainly will set you apart as having the most beautiful carriage. What size is it?
    You sure look like you know what you are doing, but if you need loading data or anything, I have a pretty good library of reference work I'll be happy to share. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Carry on.
    I'm not a military man, but shouldn't that be Semper Fi or something?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Thanks guys
    Frank I got the barrel from Grey Star Cannon works. From what I have found the wood that they used back in the day was primarily oak or maple. I just used purty maple
    Travis wrong branch, Navy not Marines.

Great job on the loud shop defense tool. Definitely woodworking in my book!

A long time ago, and a couple of lifetimes ago in 1976 my scout troop built a mock-up cannon out of PVC pipe. We did a lot of the prep-work at meetings before hand, but the final assembly was at a camporee at the Oriskany Battlefield. I forget where we got the plans, but we had a blast with that silly thing. (waking up the scoutmaster at a camp-out, firing it off across a lake when some other troop decided that their bugler should play reville at dawn each day. (man could he run!))

I don't remember precisely what fuel we used, but I do remember that we had to mix it with water and the fumes were what ignited. It didn't do anything but make noise, but it was impressive when it did. For a couple of years it lived at our house, but I dont' recall what ever happened to it in the end.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Thanks guys
    Frank I got the barrel from Grey Star Cannon works. From what I have found the wood that they used back in the day was primarily oak or maple. I just used purty maple
    Travis wrong branch, Navy not Marines.
    And purty it is. What size is the cannon?

Frank its a 1/3 scale 38" long about 125 pounds 1 1/2" bore takes about 2 oz of powder for a nice report.
    I have to find a source for cotton draw string bags that are 1 1/2" by 3" so I can pre load powder and it will be more authentic looking when loading.
    A charge would have been measured and put in a cotton sack in the powder magazine. The powder monkey would run from the magazine to the cannon with a charge in a leather bag, to keep it safe from sparks. When the command was given the charge was removed from the leather bag and loaded. A dipper cup can be used to load, but they more common on land.
    The other thing I need to figure out is a lintstock wick I have tried soaking a piece of cotton rope in gun powder but it does not burn real well and I am having trouble lighting the powder with it.

I used to know the formula for making gun cotton. Will ponder on that. Is the Bull Durham tobacco company still in business? I'll betcha you could buy thar cotton bags in quantity if ye wrote a letter.