Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding adjustable height table

Folding adjustable height table

Good day

I made this table for different purpose but, I will not tell you which one because you will laugh on me..... ops:

But, while working on it in the garage, I thought that I can use it also as an adjustable height table for the Drill press, table saw, router table and alike to support long boards so, I made a few modifications...

The base is two, same length frames, M&T, connected with bolts as an X...the top can be any plywood, melamine or whatever.

I did not have intention to post it but then I thought, maybe it will give somebody some ideas...

For garage use, I would make it from some 2" x 4" with a wider base, say, 30" for better lateral stability

Regards
    niki

Niki,
    that's a great idea. I know in my shop there won't be any extra floor space, but a knock down and adjustable outfeet table would be a huge help. Thanks!
    -Ned

Excellent little table Niki. As always, thanks for sharing. Cool fine height adjustment idea.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Interesting way to fine tune exact table height... going to have to file that idea away for possible future use. In fact the wheels are turning as we speak here... that "scissors" method ( a miniture version of it) may be an alternate way to crank a fence or whatnot against a piece you want to hold in place in a jig. Thanks for the idea.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Adjustable table

Thanks Nick
    A good project for me to build for my planer outfeed table. It has a top mounted planer head, hence every piece to be planed, or moulded has to have height adjusted on outfeed, or snipe becomes a big issue.. I think I'll plan to mount a roller bar on it. I believe if I mount a roller bar on one side, it may be more stable and flexible, turned sideways at the height I need it.
    Keep up the great work!
    alpmeadow

Thank you so much for your kind words

Makes me feel good that you found the idea helpful and it gives you ideas for different usages.

As I said, I made it for totally different usage but for the shop, I would make it from 2x4 or even iron profiles, wider footprint and hinge bolts that I can tight (after setting the height) with a knob.

Regards
    niki

The fine-tuned height adjustment is a great idea, Niki. As always, thanks for sharing it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Niki,
    Neat idea for the adjustable table. With your design a person could make the table as heavy duty or as light as needed for the application.
    I think I can safely say that you spend way too much time thinking and problem solving, and I only wish I had half of your abilities at "engineering" and design. But, I am happy that you are always willing to share! You are "my kind of guy" who will make his own rather than running down to some store.
    Keep it up!
    Jim

Thank you so much

Jim
    I read this one on one of the Router books..."The router is the Horse but the jigs are the Wagon"...

So, if I'll run into a shop, it will be to buy some Horses...I can make the Wagons myself and for me it's part (even big part) of the hobby.

I even made the "Grrripper" with 1" Oak base but when my hand was over the naked blade....Well, lets say that I was lucky to wear the Brown pants that day ...the proximity of my hand to the blade scared the hell out of me (you know, all those "Red color thoughts" passing in front of my eyes)...I just kicked the STOP switch with my knee and...never again...
    Later, I realized that there is no even one operation that I cannot do with other jigs and with my hand "far, far and away" from the blade...but of course, it's only me. I noticed that many people love the Grrripper...

I do use a lot of time thinking but it's because...I have a lot of free time and I don't have any "delivery date"...

Best regards
    niki