Folding adjustable height table

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

I made this table for different purpose but, I will not tell you which one because you will laugh on me..... :oops:

But, while working on it in the garage, I thought that I can use it also as an adjustable height table for the Drill press, table saw, router table and alike to support long boards so, I made a few modifications...

The base is two, same length frames, M&T, connected with bolts as an X...the top can be any plywood, melamine or whatever.

I did not have intention to post it but then I thought, maybe it will give somebody some ideas...

For garage use, I would make it from some 2" x 4" with a wider base, say, 30" for better lateral stability

Regards
niki

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Interesting way to fine tune exact table height... going to have to file that idea away for possible future use. In fact the wheels are turning as we speak here... that "scissors" method ( a miniture version of it) may be an alternate way to crank a fence or whatnot against a piece you want to hold in place in a jig. Thanks for the idea.

Adjustable table

Thanks Nick
A good project for me to build for my planer outfeed table. It has a top mounted planer head, hence every piece to be planed, or moulded has to have height adjusted on outfeed, or snipe becomes a big issue.. I think I'll plan to mount a roller bar on it. I believe if I mount a roller bar on one side, it may be more stable and flexible, turned sideways at the height I need it.
Keep up the great work!
alpmeadow

Thank you so much for your kind words

Makes me feel good that you found the idea helpful and it gives you ideas for different usages.

As I said, I made it for totally different usage but for the shop, I would make it from 2x4 or even iron profiles, wider footprint and hinge bolts that I can tight (after setting the height) with a knob.

Regards
niki

Niki,
Neat idea for the adjustable table. With your design a person could make the table as heavy duty or as light as needed for the application.
I think I can safely say that you spend way too much time thinking and problem solving, and I only wish I had half of your abilities at "engineering" and design. But, I am happy that you are always willing to share! You are "my kind of guy" who will make his own rather than running down to some store.
Keep it up!

Thank you so much

Jim
I read this one on one of the Router books..."The router is the Horse but the jigs are the Wagon"...

So, if I'll run into a shop, it will be to buy some Horses...I can make the Wagons myself and for me it's part (even big part) of the hobby.

I even made the "Grrripper" with 1¼" Oak base but when my hand was over the naked blade....Well, lets say that I was lucky to wear the Brown pants that day :eek:...the proximity of my hand to the blade scared the hell out of me (you know, all those "Red color thoughts" passing in front of my eyes)...I just kicked the STOP switch with my knee and...never again...
Later, I realized that there is no even one operation that I cannot do with other jigs and with my hand "far, far and away" from the blade...but of course, it's only me. I noticed that many people love the Grrripper...

I do use a lot of time thinking but it's because...I have a lot of free time and I don't have any "delivery date"...

Best regards
niki

ironing board, the only usefull purpose

Hello Niki
Great stuff as always. In my shop a great solution for an adjustable table is an ironing board. Garage sales are a good source, I guess they can't figure out what ironing is either. I have 5 of them in my shop and they store behind doors and tables where they are needed. I am going to make one of your tables though. I have a need for one that the ironing board is too long to fit. Thanks again

Mike

Thank you Mike

I was thinking about ironing board but it was "dancing" too much to my taste...

I made it to help me in cleaning around the house...yes, I do the cleaning....:eek:

I attached to the legs small wheels so I can roll it around.

When I clean the tops in the bathrooms I like to remove all the "Cosmetica" (or as I call them "Indian war paints) of my wife and than spray the mirror and the top and clean it in one shot without any "obstacles" so I remove everything to the folding table instead of moving the zillion bottles from one place to the other....very convenient if you also make the cleaning like me...:)

Of course, in this case you don't need the height adjustment...

04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg