PLEASE READ THIS

Jeff Horton

I just wanted to give members a little reminder. Recently it seems that we have had several posts that violate the Code of Conduct. One of the main goals when Family Woodworking was set up was to keep it Family Friendly place. In order to meet that goal 'colorful' language is not allowed. That includes substituting words with symbols and abbreviations. Such as &$#@& or replacing a few letters like AB****.

I can only speak for myself but I suspect that many others are proud of what we have created here. I really appreciate the membership here and how civil it is compared to some other forums I frequent. This is not to chastise anyone, it just a reminder of the rules.

If your not familiar with the rules, Vaughn just added an announcement at the top of the forums that links to our Code of Conduct for your convenience.

Thank you and now we will return you to your regularly scheduled browsing!

Yep we are no prudes, by any means, but civil, intelligent discussions, do not gain anything by the use of that kind of language, add to that the desire to keep it family friendly, and I'm sure that everyone can understand.

Thanks to everyone for making Family Woodworking such a great place. :thumb:

I just wanted to give members a little reminder. Recently it seems that we have had several posts that violate the Code of Conduct. One of the main goals when Family Woodworking was set up was to keep it Family Friendly place. In order to meet that goal 'colorful' language is not allowed. That includes substituting words with symbols and abbreviations. Such as &$#@& or replacing a few letters like AB****.

I can only speak for myself but I suspect that many others are proud of what we have created here. I really appreciate the membership here and how civil it is compared to some other forums I frequent. This is not to chastise anyone, it just a reminder of the rules.

If your not familiar with the rules, Vaughn just added an announcement at the top of the forums that links to our Code of Conduct for your convenience.

Thank you and now we will return you to your regularly scheduled browsing!

I agree completely that if people want to be members of this forum, they need to abide by the code of conduct. However, if adherence to the code is expected and required, the organization needs to make the code a prominent link on the site and also include a link in the welcome message sent to new members. Reminding people of rules is great, but they need to be aware of them in the first place.

Stuart sent me the links to the pertinent docs, which I appreciated immensely, but that's the only reason I saw them at all. Why aren't they linked prominently from the group's homepage? My profession is in Web site design and management, so I know what I'm talking about.

Are there technical limitations to adding these links? Or is it an oversight? Just curious.

--MJ :type:

I agree completely that if people want to be members of this forum, they need to abide by the code of conduct. However, if adherence to the code is expected and required, the organization needs to make the code a prominent link on the site and also include a link in the welcome message sent to new members. Reminding people of rules is great, but they need to be aware of them in the first place.

Stuart sent me the links to the pertinent docs, which I appreciated immensely, but that's the only reason I saw them at all. Why aren't they linked prominently from the group's homepage? My profession is in Web site design and management, so I know what I'm talking about.

--MJ :type:

The CoC rules are the first thing the new member sees (after entering their birth date) when they register. They must check a box that says they have read and agree to the rules... We have copies in the Member's forum, and a permanent announcement has been added. People tend to scan briefly rules and regulations on forums...and then begin browsing and posting. Just human nature, so that's why forums have moderators to help remind members of the rules.

MJ, we previously had the Rules and CoC posted as an Announcement at the top of each forum, but it expired, and it wasn't until last night that I realized it and got it put back up. It's fixed now, but I'll take the blame for them not being more visible. :doh::eek:

Hi Greg,

Yep, I remember noting the reference during registration but couldn't figure out how to get back to it. :doh: :) Stuart helped me find it, which was kind of him. My point was if the CoC is so important to this forum and we want people to remember and abide by it, then we need to make the posting easily viewable and found. Then people don't have the excuse that they haven't seen it, can't find it, don't know about it, <fill in a favorite excuse>. :)Vaughn, thanks so much for reposting.

--MJ

Hi MJ :wave:,
Glad to have you here.:D Thank you for taking the time to explain and to offer suggestions all to the betterment of the forum, in my opinion :thumb:. Clarity is so important whether it be in a thread/post, in a turorial, in the rules of regulation and in the placement of critical information. You are a help and thank you.
Shaz :)
PS also thanks to wise Greg, pretty Vaughn and furry Stu.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Seriously!!!:D:rofl: