Twin tea lights

Kevin McPeek

These were an experiment really. Overall I'm happy with the results and may try some on some better wood. These are made from Ficus and are about 5" on the long side and 2 3/4" tall. I made as close to twins as I could with out measuring anything. I left the base larger than normal because I was thinking they needed to be uber stable, you know for safety reasons. But I think being they are only partially hollowed I could safely make them somewhat smaller.
Anyway please feel free to critique or whatever you want.

Attachments

• phpQQHevKPM.jpg
    phpQQHevKPM.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 70
  • phpGtyTciPM.jpg
    phpGtyTciPM.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 49
  • phpFVByTqPM.jpg
    phpFVByTqPM.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 36
That's a great idea, Kevin. :thumb: I've not seen anything quite like them before. You might just be onto something. ;)

Kevin, great brainwave, I like it what you did.
I made in the past lots of tealights too for Christmas time.:thumb:

Thanks guys.
Pete, feel free. I'd like to see where someone else takes the idea. I'm sure it's been done already but I haven't seen it.

Drew, I'm not sure since I haven't lit one yet. I thought I would try to see if you can see the candle light through the wings. On one you could see light when turnig but that's a 100w stuffed inside it.

Last edited:
Tea lights are great for using up odds and ends of wood aren't they? You have a lovely pair there.
One hint, leave a little gap between the tea light holder (the tin or whatever it is) and the wood. I have had one I made from an old fence post start to scorch where it wwas an exact fit and got hot. It had been creosoted and I smelt it first but it made me aware of the problem

Pete

Thanks again.
Pete M, the lights have a clear plastic cup so I don't think they should get too hot. They are just Wal Mart store brand. I like to make it easy for people to get replacements, and I think they look a bit better than the tin cups.
The extra bonus is the 1 9/16" forstner bit from my Crush Grind pepper mills is just the right size to drill the initial hole.

Oh, these are neat-- nice job! When I see pieces of wood like those, I always want to touch them, to feel their shapes. Pete makes a good point about leaving the gap, which will also make changing out the tea light much easier.