Plywood shelving unit

Dave Trask

I have a project coming up for my daughter in-law.

She has a walk in closet and wants large standing shelving units on three of the four walls.
They don't want fine furniture, just something decent looking to put clothes and shoes on etc.
I plan on using cabinet grade birch plywood for the whole project.....Uprights and adjustable shelves.

I know I have several options for edge banding or facing the plywood, but
was wondering if anyone ever just filled the edge of the ply with a wood filler and tried staining over it?
I have done this in the past on plywood edges that were to be painted, but never gave it a try with a stain.

And what would be a good finish for birch plywood. If I would apply tung oil would the oil come off onto
the clothes stored on the shelves or would it be better to use a poly or shellac type finish.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks... Dave

Last edited:
First, I'll say that I'm not a big "Poly" fan, whereas a lot of folks, (like the other Norm) want to put Poly on everything. I will only use it if it may get some liquid, (like alcohol) on it that would mar other finishes. I still like Laquer on many projects because it is easy to shoot and super easy to repair or renew if necessary. I'm sure others will have other opinions. Anyhow, enjoy the project.

Personally, I like the look of exposed birch ply edges. The times I've gone that way (on shop jigs, for example), I've just sanded and finished...no filler seemed necessary. I've even used a roundover bit in the router to ease the edges a bit. I'd make sure you daughter-in-law liked the look before going that route, though.

For something like a closet fixture that's not going to be seen in good lighting, I'd go more for durability in the finish instead of looks. I'm a lacquer fan, but for this type of project, I'd consider water-based poly. Maybe a floor finish? That'd be durable for sure. I think it'd more odor-free, too.

Dave,
I've used Fastcap's edge banding before. I was skeptical of the "peel n stick" stuff, but it works very well. I have some pieces in the laundry room that are 8-9 years old and look as they did day one.
http://www.fastcap.com/products.aspx?id=38

And don't discount shellac as an option especially since it won't see a lot of water. Shellac is easy to apply and if it gets dinged up, easy to repair.
Just another option,
Wes

I like the look of finished BB ply edges, shop grade; not so much. The thin BB plys give things a sort of euro-utility look. I'm a big shellac fan due to ease of use. For shoe storage areas I might be tempted to spray some poly prior to assembly/install. You could forgo the poly if they are going to use some sort of shelf liner to make cleaning easier. Depends where you live and what your shoes go through.

Norman you get to caught up in your preferances, Each has it own merit. When I has access to a good finish area, I also loved to use Lacquer as you said, "it is easy to shoot and super easy to repair or renew if necessary". that it is and the results are so beautiful but the conditions need be right and the average DYIer has neither the equipment or facility. Utility piecs are better suited for a more durable finish. Livingroom furniture pieces are well suited for a fine Lacquer.

WES, In the bed room as a utility piece will make me discount Shellac to the front of the list of what not to use :eek: OK I'll tell why, Because cosmetics and (usually feminine) prep materials are normaly Alcohol based (so is Shellac) Hair Spray will injure the finish should she stand near and apply as the overspray will drift quite a distance. Should she freshly apply some skin cream and then reach into the wardrobe, this fresh supply of solvant will also attack over time. All these are based on observations of having some bedroom furniture that has a Shellac finish, the pieces are quite old but constructed in the 50s and over time the Shellac finish has deterrated from exposure to such as I discribed, handprints etched into the drawers, etched finish on the mirror where mom would spray her hair, etc. Rings and circles on the bedside tables from placing drinks or bottle of her cosmetics on the dresser, etc. That is why not to use Shellac in an area that is subject to constant wear or attack.

Poly has a bad rep from some WWers as they feel the "Plastic" effect is beneeth their level of work and must be some exotic formulation to be acceptable, but I for one have had experence with most all the different finishing approaches from exotic oils rubbed and buffed, to catalist required hardening finishes. I prefer Polyurathane (in particular Wipe-on Poly) as the most versitile and all arround used finish. I like to begin with an oilbased sanding sealer for a good sanded base followed by paste wood filler and several coats of a High Gloss Poly. (Okay! you can use Shellac here as a sanding sealer) I prefer High Gloss because you can rub down a gloss finish but you can't polish UP a Semi-gloss finish (semi-gloss uses a chemical suspension within the finish and it builds up with each coat and cannot be polished out).

As was said, to each his/her own prefferance but this is mine and the reasons I have stated.

As for the Plywood, I would either go with the banding or glue on a thin strip of suitable material along the edge, Either thin batten strips or a thicker edge biscuited along the edge. Putty will look like amaturish "Git-r-done" approach, sanded and finished exposed ply edge will always look like an UN-finished project. The small effort or expense of the banding will be far less than the final effect and the fact that she will be going in there daily and seeing the work and wish you had .......
Remember they say " Nothing fancy" now but later??? Got to talk you into it first.

go with banding.

Last edited:
Bill,
I would agree with your assessment of the shellac/cosmetics issues. I guess my definition of a walk in closet is a bit more modest. I was focused on clothing storage for which shellac as a finish has served us well.

Wes

Another thought wandered across my humble mind. Quite often the aforementioned "Norm" of TV fame uses Prefinished Plywood for shelving and cabinet carcasses. Might be a bit more expensive but I bet is a dream to work with and the finishing would be touchup to the cuts and any edging. Might consider that.

I am of the school that if you paint or stain a pig, it is still a pig. I no longer stain birch.

Birch plywood isn't a primo furniture wood. But it is a good paint grade wood. If you want a clear finish, red oak is close to the price of birch (at least in our area). If you want a nice edge, iron on edge banding is relatively easy and good. Naked plywood edges are fine for some people, but not for everyone (who may someday buy your house).

yes, I am old fashioned. And old.

Melamine is another good option if the shelves aren't to wide without support from below. Never been a fan of pulling someout and "fixing". In this case where the finish is not going to noticible (the shelves themselves) and sides if they are in a corner I would use poly. Then use your choice on the edges. Keeping in mind that there are different grades of Melamine.

I built a number of large storage units for my garage. I used birch ply for the doors, and maple hard wood for the face frames, and the shelf facings. It is simple and easy to put on the front of shelves. Rout a grove down the middle of the shelf edges and install biscuits in the facings. apply glue and use clamps to hold till dry. Makes very attractive shelf edges. I used BCX Fir plywood for the shelves them sleves and painted them and all the interior white.
Cabinets008.jpg

Cabinets002.jpg

Cabinetsdone001.jpg

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and great suggestions !
They will be a great help when I finally make up my mind.

These will more than likely be a series of 3' wide X 85" high cabinets "Units" and about 18" deep with adjustable shelves so she can adjust them as she wishes.

I'm kinda stuck at the moment on birch or oak ply. They don't want mdf
In this area oak is almost double in price of what the birch plywood is, but then again I've only been at one place to price the wood.

This walk in closet is approx 14' x 16' so its gonna take a few cabinets.
I going to go ahead and build one unit see if she likes it, or for that matter If I like it. then change what is needed and go onto the rest.

Tom Hoffman those units you made look great, what finish did you use on the birch plywood doors?

Last edited:
great work for the garage, I didnt even use any hardwoods, just assorted plywoods and pine.
I took a piece of 1/4 inch peg, and drilled out hole so the big cabinets have all adjustable shelves.
I sliced 1/8 inch slice of pine, and just used 2 brads with glue to hlde them on to the front edge of the plywood shelves.(I havent stained them yet, maybe one day)

DYI Walk In Closet Update.

Yup, It been awhile but here is some initial pictures of this Walk In Closet project for my Daughter In Law,.. which is now almost complete.

At the moment 80+ adjustable shelves. :eek:
Seven Wardrobes also outfitted with the option of
more shelves if desired. A makeup desk nook, valet hook(s), and window seat.
96" High X 14" Deep including stand out from the walls and covers all four walls.
I ended up edge banding with fancy wood trim and for the shelves are edge banded
with real wood iron on trim.

More pictures to come.

Thanks all for your help.... :wave:

Dave

Attachments

• 100_1109.jpg
    100_1109.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_1110.jpg
    100_1110.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1111.jpg
    100_1111.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1112.jpg
    100_1112.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1113.jpg
    100_1113.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
These shelving units are made out of ¾" inch cabinet grade poplar plywood.
They are edge banded with fancy flowered edge molding on the verticals and the shelves that are fixed.. The adjustable shelves are also made from plywood and have been edge banded with real wood iron on edge banding. The adjustable shelve metal runners are routed in flush with the sides and have notches every 1/2" for the shelve holding brackets. The units are finished with two good coats of poly.
Here are some more pictures, look towards the bottom and on the second page to see them loaded up with clothing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28272480@N04/sets/72157605974195183/detail/

I got a real kick out to see her smile from ear to ear when I
said go ahead and load em up! ...Dang this girl has a lot of stuff! :eek:

Thanks again for your help.... Dave...:wave:

Last edited: