what's a guy to do?

Paul Hubbman

Well, i've had a bit of luck lately, even though i'm really trying to keep the "collection" to a minimum. I just couldn't say no. I picked up a used 3 1/2 hp B&D router for $35 and found an old Makita 14" miter saw. Neither one would win any beauty contests, but they work fine and fill a need. They're not exactly "old iron", but they're definitely not new.

My other router only has a 1/4" collet, and i'm going to need one with a 1/2" so that i can build new storm windows and screens for my house (getting rid of the aluminum tripple tracks and going back to the old school wood frame type). The "new" one has soft start and a fixed base that i'll set up in a router table. Should work beautifully.

My 10" miter saw (an old B&D) will cut 2x4's, but nothing much bigger. The 14 inch saw gives me a bit more capacity - and the price was right - $0. It has a good Freud carbide blade on it, runs smoothly, and cuts clean and square.

I'm developing a small stash of machines that i need to get rid of. I'm also starting to get that look from my wife. She hasn't said anything yet, but i've noticed the concerned glance out of the corner of her eyes. Time to purge.

Paul Hubbman

Definitely a good deal for you sir! :thumb:

Maybe you can find a good home with an aspiring woodworker for the old(er) stuff that needs a purge?

Cheers! :wave:

What???? Paul Hubbman getting rid of some old tools?:dunno::dunno::dunno: Wow, never thought I would here these words spoken.

I understand though, sometimes when it comes to letting the Mrs be happy, or keeping the old stuff, it's a hard decision. I highly recommend Yahoo. It worked well for my ex-wife, she found her new boyfriend online and moved to Arizona to be with him, and 10 days later I found Patty on there. I am sure Yvette will find someone soon :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

All kidding aside, I think we all face dealing with selling off tools at some point. Myself I have been wrestling with selling my aircraft carrier. I have yet to rebuild it and it is used more for a bench then its intended purpose. About the only reason I keep it is because we have a sawmill. A machine of that capacity, coupled with a big planer, could make some nice lumber, and with taxes what they are, getting 2000 feet of planed lumber and selling it maybe something I do in the future :dunno:

Having multiple tools is another hard area to look at. I got two bandsaws which is another waste of space and machines. My Dad really needs a bandsaw and I should give him my small one and keep my Gilliom, but I like them both. Same thing with my drill presses...do I really need three, two of which I never use? :dunno:

Fortunately I have it a bit easier then you. I have a detached shop that I call "The Man Shack." The Mrs never treads out there, nor many woman for that matter, and I like it that way. That keeps those strange looks at bay.

I keep my shop somewhat... let's just say "messy". So the only time LOML even gets close is to call me to dinner.;)

Mine doesn't even have to do that. We have those cheesy wireless intercoms you get at Radio Shack or whatever. They are always on, so when she wants me to come in from the shop, she just pushes the button and tells me. At the same time, my shop is wired for phone and satellite too, so she can always call me on the land-line phone. Or on my cell phone...

Of course I am an old railroader, so just like on the railroad when you wanted more time on the railroad tracks, or more time in the shop, you just never answer the intercom/radio/telephone.