Make your own

Bruce Page

Since buying my Woodmaster drum sander last year, I have looked high & low for a DC connector that would fit both the Woodmaster and the female quick connect on my portable DC. I guess the Woodmaster is designed to have a hose connected permanently to it but I live in a mobile base/quick connect world. :rolleyes:

After buying a few plastic adapters, none of which would fit the 4” OD straight tube on the sander, I decided to dust off the old Logan and make my own….

Now all I have to do is clean up the aluminum chips, they’re EVERYWHERE!

Attachments

• QC1a.jpg
    QC1a.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 59
  • QC2a.jpg
    QC2a.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 39
  • QC3a.jpg
    QC3a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 60
  • QC4a.jpg
    QC4a.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 39
  • QC5a.jpg
    QC5a.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 51
  • QC6a.jpg
    QC6a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
you couldnt wait culd ya

:thumb:you really wanted to make yur own anyway,,who you think yur foolin bruce..:rofl: looks fantastic.. maybe you could try out for a machinist job when you retire from rocket science..:rofl::thumb:

Very cool, Bruce. I need to figure out something similar for the connection to the dust hood I'm using at the lathe. I use the same female quick-connect as you do, but the male counterpart on the dust hood is just a tweak too big. I can fit the quick-connect on, but it only goes on about 1/8", so it's not a real robust connection. I'm leaning towards rubber sewer pipe couplings with the hose clamps at both ends, but your machined aluminum sure came out nice.

Very cool, Bruce. I need to figure out something similar for the connection to the dust hood I'm using at the lathe. I use the same female quick-connect as you do, but the male counterpart on the dust hood is just a tweak too big. I can fit the quick-connect on, but it only goes on about 1/8", so it's not a real robust connection. I'm leaning towards rubber sewer pipe couplings with the hose clamps at both ends, but your machined aluminum sure came out nice.

Very cool job Bruce.

Vaughn,

I have had similar "almost" fittings for QC and I just hand sanded the male portion. Go slow because it is surprising how 'suddenly' the QC will slip right on. HTH. You might get lucky.

Vaughn, the female quick connect has a 4* taper on it so if your mustard hood has a straight pipe on it you got the same problem that I had. I could force the QC onto the Woodmaster (I broke one) but it would barely stay on.

Pretty nifty Bruce. Ain't it great when you have the tools to make tools? I have a cheapie Grizzly metal lathe/mill combo similar to the Smithies, that I bought specifically and thus use almost exclusively woodworking ( I make and thread my own 1 1/2 inch dowels). I know almost nothing about turning metal on it, so if I was to make something like you needed I would probably try and make it out of wood. Something like osage orange, hard, dense. It would of course be bulky and not as sweet looking as yours.

I agree...sort of. Being a machinist is a blessing and a curse...

Its nice, but at the same time, there isn't much you can't make when you got the tools to work metal and wood. As I get older I look at stuff and try to decide if its worth my time or not. I don't have the luxury of having a lathe in my backyard, so I have to factor in driving all the way to work, and work, is well work and not somewhere I want to be on the weekends. Still when I need things, I can make them and that is great.

As I get older, I am getting better at buying some of the stuff I know I could make better, and letting my to do list stay kind of small. When I was younger I insisted that I make everything, just because it would be perfect, and yet many times I never made things because of the time factor.

As I said, its a blessing and a curse.

As I get older, I am getting better at buying some of the stuff I know I could make better, and letting my to do list stay kind of small. When I was younger I insisted that I make everything, just because it would be perfect, and yet many times I never made things because of the time factor.

As I said, its a blessing and a curse.

Yep, been there, done that.
That is why I looked for the fitting in several places, bought 3 different “might fit” fittings from the local Woodcraft & Woodworkers Supply and ended up going to the salvage yard and picking up a piece of aluminum heavy wall tubing. I still enjoy the machining, it’s the cleanup afterward that I hate...LOML does NOT like metal chips in the house!