Almost Number Six

I was just telling the wife the other night that things are getting downright crazy around here. We just entered our third month of 2008 and already there have been four homicides in this state!!

The sad thing is, no matter how high the homicide rate gets, the snowmobile fatality rate is always well past it. Here in Maine you are twice as likely to die on a snowmobile then you are by murder. This weekend was BAD. From Friday Night until Monday morning, there was 5 fatal snowmobile accidents. That makes 9 for the year!

Unfortunately I was almost number six yesterday. We were out riding, when I went around a hair pin corner and started out on a nice long logging road. I had about a mile of straight, flat riding ahead so I opened it up. I did not know that there was a small water crossing that had melted the snow. Well right now we have 4 feet of snow in the woods, so this left a hole about 4 feet deep and about 10 feet wide with pretty steep slopes on each side. Unfortunately you looked right over the top of it until you got up close.

So I see it at the last second, and grab a handful of brake. Well in hind sight, that was the wrong thing to do because as everyone knows, at high speed snowmobiles under hard braking slide to the clutch side. So I drop down into this hole at 50 mph or so at a 45º angle. My right ski catches the ice on the other side and flips the sled straight up into the air. It has enough momentum though to pop itself and me out of this hole. I fall off banging up my knee and shoulder pretty good (yes the same one that is still hurting from the last snowmobile incident.) The sled lands on its side, but hits hard enough to right itself and plow into the snow where it comes to a stop. Me on the other hand,I try to get up...

Once...
Twice...
Three times...

Finally I have enough wind back in my lungs, and enough stamina to get up, check my sled for damage as my brother comes over to me. "Yeah I forgot to tell you about that hole." Yeah...that's my brother, always just a bit late.

Anyway I think I will be alright. I got a chiropractic appointment tomorrow so I'll get checked out pretty good. Thankfully I was going slower then I was last time.

Last edited:
Your wife does know to put up a post when you finally do kill yourself on one of those things, right?

People will be curious as to your whereabouts...

Travis, you need MORE life insurance!

I had a similar incident where I went over the handle bars of my old dirt bike. If I would’ve just gassed it and jumped the trench I would’ve been fine, instead, I tried to stop. I was in my 20’s so I healed quickly. :doh:
Live & learn.

I'm not sure.....his wife allows him to ride a snowmobile. I'm betting she's the one who put him up to asking "How much life insurance is enough?" Travis....did she tell you to buy more insurance? I wonder.......Could she be planning his demise by allowing him to continue this "sport"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure.....his wife allows him to ride a snowmobile. I'm betting she's the one who put him up to asking "How much life insurance is enough?" Travis....did she tell you to buy more insurance? I wonder.......Could she be planning his demise by allowing him to continue this "sport"?

Probably telling him to go cut firewood as well. :D

"No, not that one, the one over there...by the power lines"

Probably telling him to go cut firewood as well. :D

"No, not that one, the one over there HONEY...by the power lines"

Travis.....tell us what county you live in so we know which sheriff to contact in the event of your untimely demise.

We'll tell him how she planned this whole thing....letting you snowmobile.....cut powerline trees.......after asking you to find out "How much life insurance is enough".....this stinks....If I was you I'd be worried!:rofl:

You ever think about the poor old grave digger that will have to chisel 6' down in that frozen earth to put you to rest? :rofl:

Seriously though, glad you're ok, I won't suggest you take it easy :D

This is New England, we don't bury anyone in the winter. If someone dies in the winter, we have a wake and a funeral for them, then they are taken to a Crypt where they are stored until Spring arrives. That is when the grave side funeral takes place. The only time a grave is dug in the winter is when its a child that dies. Two funerals would be too much on the parents so its dug through the frost, usually by hand.

I know you were being silly, I just thought I would explain how it works.

I don't think it would bother the Mrs to much if I went, and Alyson would never remember me anyway, so I am all good there.:rofl:

In all seriousness though I probably would not get into so much trouble if my Brother did not insist I go first all the time. Its pretty easy to watch Travis get stuck,or see him bounce off a bump and say "ahhh-ha...I think I'll go a different way or slow down for that."

I said before though, that there is nothing I can do that has not been done before by my family. A few years ago I was plowing my driveway with my tractor when a snowmobile skimmed past my tractor and the snowplow coming up over the hill. I saw his lights in the distance,then it was between us, then gone...he was screaming right up the middle of the road.

Well apparently that was my cousin out for a little snowy road ride. Well after he topped the hill near my house, he started down the other side. A car had slid off into the ditch but its rear end was hanging out in the road still. Alan hit the car because he was out driving his lights. He went sailing through the air and slammed head first into a tree. He was wearing a helmet but the impact still killed him instantly. That was too bad as he had two small kids at the time.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I figure at least I don't have to worry about cholesterol. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey Travis,
It sounds like you are having a blast. Unfortunatly there are risk to your hobbies. I think its great that you dont let a few minor "incidents" slow you down. Live life to the fullest and what happens, happens. Cant say you didnt try. I enjoy your post, since I'm laid up for now at least I can have fun with your stories. Sounds like we live the same way. Cant do it if you dont try it. :thumb::thumb: