Well, now that Bill L. has outed me...

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm glad so many others like the smell of wood as much as I do. :)

Nancy, you are actually a big reason why I took the plunge and signed on. I remember your countdown to retirement and am sure you're enjoying it. There aren't many women in woodworking... we can't let the guys have all the fun, can we. ;)

Glad to be here, glad to learn.

--MJ

Welcome MJ. That was a great introduction post. Wood talks to each of us in different ways, I got interested when my dad built a 26’ sloop in our backyard.
Is that your daughter in your avatar? She’s a beautiful young lady!

How cool someone else recognizes "in dutch." :) When I use phrases like these, my work team calls them "MJ'isms." What really makes me laugh is when I hear them start to use MJ'isms in their own everyday talk.

The other big one they like is "What happens if one day you go out and get hit by a bus?" -- which I use when I'm telling them they need to share out their projects and have backups in case something sudden happens, right? ... but of course now they use it mercilessly with me and each other. "But MJ, what happens if you get hit by a bus?" LOL.

The little girl in the photo is the 6 year old daughter of a friend. Her name's Nikki... we do silly girly-girl things together like polish our nails, color with crayons and make cookies. Nikki tells me I'm her "Best Old Friend," which I take as the highest compliment. :eek:

A 26' sloop? Wow. That would certainly get me interested, too!

Hello MJ

As a transplant from Missouri to Pa. I can relate to how others relate to the way one speaks. Everyone thinks I am from the south where as I am really from North Missouri. They even tried to tell my wife there is no "r" in "wash", they don't seem to realize that there are invisible letters in words just like there are silent letters.

Garry

Dogs, you say?? Love 'em, even the GIANT ones! :D

So you see how little it takes me to get started on dogs... I'm posting a photo of mine, The Three A'Beagos, collage-style so you can see them all.

Clockwise starting at 1:00, you see all three of them after laying siege to my bed on laundry day. Next, Buzzie doing his King Tut imitation. He's my Fraternity Boy Beagle. Then we have goofy Lady Noodles with her tongue sticking out. Lady was an abuse case from the rescue. For 2.5 years I worked very hard to rehabilitate her and find a good home... and all the while she had already decided where that good home was. LOL! I just wasn't very fast on the pick-up with the message, I guess, humans can be so dumb. :dunno: Now she's mine... or rather, I'm hers.

Then finally, Molly Peanut, my Einstein Beagle. Molly's 12 this year, getting up-there in Beagle years but as playful and mischievous as ever. They do tricks, dance, celebrate all the major holidays, and even have their own Web pages on www.dogster.com. Not too spoiled, these ones. ;)

Thanks to Vaughn for his spiffy photo uploading tutorial. You're the man! Sending woofs and arrroooooos to all the woodworking dogs on the forum from The Three A'Beagos...

--MJ

Attachments

• beagle collage.jpg
    beagle collage.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
Nice introduction MJ. Myself I think its great when you get the opinions of others and the get the opinions of the other side of the gender.

As for the dogs, I got three myself. If you ever hear of a Basset Hound rescue mission, could you PM or email me? I might be looking for a BH pretty quick as the one I have now is in failing health. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Beagles too, and I might get another, but I can't ever see me without a BH.

(BH=Basset Hound)