Maine in Arkansas

Frank Fusco

Woke up to heavy snow. About five inches and continuing until later this afternoon. Very abnormal to have this, especially in March. I don't like at all. Even daytime, it is quite dark and gloomy outside. Deer are searching for food. We are staying cozy inside.

Attachments

• deer in snow.jpg
    deer in snow.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 62
And someone was telling me just last week that it doesn't snow in Arkansas. :rolleyes: Stay warm.

Those moose don't have very big antlers there, Frank. :rofl:

Trust me, it can't look like Maine down there. My road has not showed the hot top since November. The wheel ruts in the ice got so bad last week that they had to bring graders in with carbide inserts to scrape the ice so it was at least smooth. The guard rails are gone...the snowbanks are well over those, and the mailboxes to boot.

The Maine DOT says they are out of salt. They said we will be alright if we can go two weeks without any storms...that was yesterday. Today its snowing again with another storm predicted for Friday. I have not seen this much snow in a long time. As is, we are close to several snowfall records for the year. The Maine DOT even said that they had more storms this year...so far...then the last three years combined!

We went out riding on Sunday and all we did was get stuck and pull out sleds. After the third time of getting my sled out of a snowbank, I was ready to head home.

Of course we are used to this stuff. Down there Frank you must be almost dying. I assume you guys have backup heat (wood stoves) generators, snowplows on your pickups, snowmobiles and snowshoes right? :)

Semi-Stuck-small.JPG

Travis, my house has back up heat, we put in a small propane unvented fireplace a couple years ago. But, unfortunately, a lot of the retirees just don't understand that 'stuff' can happen and do not prepare. Fortunately, cold and snowy weather (usually) does not last long here. Six a.m. today is was 17 degrees at my house and the snow was still on the ground. And, this is March, very freakish. We should be outside in short sleeves by now. Tow trucks are doing good business.

Could be worse. Photo from New York someplace. Durned stuff just won't go away. Inch this morning and now melting. Back down below zero tonight. Thank heaven for global warming. Minnesota bites.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 20
Its one thing if you are used to it, and quite another if you're not Frank,so I feel your pain. Myself, I love winter. I grew upon a dairy farm so Spring, Summer and Fall meant a lot of work. Winter was the only time we slowed down. That meant enjoying snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and hockey.

Nowadays, if the snow is not so deep, I cut wood since the ground is frozen and cooler temps are great to work in. When the snow gets deep I head out on my sled.

Still I think the cold keeps the riff raff out of this state. It also keeps the crime down. Its pretty hard to have a drive by shooting when its so frosted up you can't roll the window down. Or have home invasions where the perpetrator has to use snowshoes to get to the back door. In fact even high speed chases are impossible when there is 6 inches of snow in the road. :)

Southern Snow

Sorry to hear this Frank, I can imagine snow in your neck of the woods in a bit unusual. Up here in NY capital region we had 40 degrees and rain yesterday.

Dale, that picture is from northern NY state near Oswego I believe. Last year they had over 12 FEET of snow from a single storm over several days. Major lake effect dumping ground !:eek:

Sorry to hear this Frank, I can imagine snow in your neck of the woods in a bit unusual. Up here in NY capital region we had 40 degrees and rain yesterday.

Dale, that picture is from northern NY state near Oswego I believe. Last year they had over 12 FEET of snow from a single storm over several days. Major lake effect dumping ground !:eek:

We are supposed to get more snow tonight and the forecast is for continued lousy.
If there is an upside, I'm not trying to raise cattle anymore. The grass should be starting to come up. Instead, I still would be buying and feeding hay. Profit is hard enough for the small producer to come by. Having to buy and feed hay six months of the year makes that impossible. As much as I miss the cattle, I don't miss the financial losses.

We got about six inches last night. Everything is closed and cancelled. Some surrounding areas got much more and more is forecast for today. Don't know if I'll risk trying to get out and go to the fitness center for my daily workout. This guy ain't too happy either.

Attachments

• skull.jpg
    skull.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 8
The snow started as I was driving to work this morning. And it's really picking up now. The funny thing... we're under a winter storm warning starting at 4:00PM this after noon through noon tomorrow. There's a road less than 1/4 mile from my ofice window and I can barely make out any of the vehicles on it. :huh::dunno:

We are blessed here today...45º and plenty of sun, but its supposed to rain hard tonight and tomorrow.

Apparently it did not come fast enough, within sight of my house last night, some SUV got squirely on those wheel ruts in the ice and shot sideways into a big tree. I almost did the same thing, but was going slow so I recovered in plenty of time.

The ruts are several inches deep, deep enough so that I try to straddle the ruts so my oil pan does not drag on the ice as I drive. Maybe the rain will wash the ice off the road and we can ride on pavement again. (Okay, pavement-gravel as my road switches back and forth as you leave town, but you all know I live way out in the sticks) :)