Block Plane

jim crockett

If you had $35.00 or so to spend on a block plane, what brand/model would you choose?

I would like to get a block plane and am on a very limited budget, so thought I'd get your thoughts on this subject.

Thanks.

JimC

I agree with Tod. There are a couple of others models I like too, but it would be old one. Don't waste money on a new one!

I would contact Walt Q at www.brasscityrecords.com and tell him what you have to spend and what you want. Walt is a stand up guy. I can highly recommend him.

After I had been laying on the bottom looking for an old block that had " the look " for a couple years SWMBO scored my 60 1/2 for thirty bucks. After getting the iron done and goofing with it for a fairly short time I found more uses for it than I imagined. So much that I got one of those holsters for the tool belt so it'd be handy. In cases where you'd have reached for sandpaper or a utility knife these do the job neater and more acurately.:thumb: But, yes, make it an old one.:p

I have several block planes but the one I reach for the most is a Record low angle with an adjustable mouth that I purchased for $10 at a garage sale. Just like new with a flat bottom nice & clean just a little touch up on the blade & it was ready to go.

I agree with what has been said already. In fact I'm also behind a stanley 60 1/2 low angle at ebay but they usually sell for more than I'm willing to pay (postage is expensive from US to Spain) that and the fact that the auctions usually end at a times that I'm at bed sleeping. So:dunno:

I agree with Tod. There are a couple of others models I like too, but it would be old one. Don't waste money on a new one!

I would contact Walt Q at www.brasscityrecords.com and tell him what you have to spend and what you want. Walt is a stand up guy. I can highly recommend him.

As it happens, I have a 60 1/2 in the mail from Walt right now. I've found him to be a great source of information and advice -- as well as nice tools.

As it happens, I have a 60 1/2 in the mail from Walt right now. I've found him to be a great source of information and advice -- as well as nice tools.

I can't say enough good about Walt. If I need something he is the first one I check with. I know if he has it, his price will be fair and the the tool will be what he says. If not, he will gladly take it back too.

I'd also see if you can find a Millers Falls #46, 47, 56, 57, or 57B. I've worked with several Stanley and Millers Falls block planes and have always been impressed with the Millers Falls quality and fit/finish. I think their planes were crafted better than their Stanley counterparts. Prices are pretty similar, even though Stanleys are more common. The Stanley 60-1/2 is a great little plane and will serve you well, but the Millers Falls might be worth your look.

Sargent also made decent planes under their own name and for others (such as Craftsman). Older Records are also good quality tools. Keen Kutter, Footprint, Ohio Tools, and a host of others made block planes, some junk, some quite nice.

Whatever you buy, i'd recommend a few things - adjustable throat and screw type depth adjuster (less slop than the adjustment wheel configuration). I've had problems with the knuckle lever cap assemblies holding the cutting iron firmly, and i really do like a lateral ajustment - not necessary, or even prevelant, but certainly useful.

I'd stay away from new planes in that price range. You'll likely get frustrated to the point of not using the tool anymore if you purchase a junk tool. Anant and Stanley both make very serviceable block planes, but both will require some tuning to get them to work well (i've got a 10 year old Stanley standard angle block with an adjustable throat - it's a really good plane that gets a lot of regular use. I think they're about $50 these days). The Groz planes that i've seen look somewhat crude, and the Buck Brothers planes i've seen at the local big box are a waste of money in my book.

Paul Hubbman