File type

Al killian

I was trying to open a file and it would not open. So, I downloaded word veiwer from microsoft. When I try reading it shows up as boxes and symbols.:dunno: Any idea on what to do? I a not real good with pc software.

Give us the filename Al. The part of the name following the dot will determine what application you need to view it. .doc = MSWord, .pdf = Acrobat or Reader from Adobe, .cdr = CorelDraw, etc.

Well, the .docx file should be a Word 2007 file, so the latest version of the Microsoft Word viewer should have worked. (There's a possibility the file is corrupt, so no reader would be able to open it.)

I have no experience with this site, but you might try here:

http://docx-converter.com/

Vaughns right on.
Microsoft Open Office XML Format (.docx). This format is not compatible with older versions of Microsoft Word or with alternative operating systems like Linux or Mac OS X. Nor is it compatible with other word processing applications like OpenOffice, Lotus 123, or NeoOffice.
check out his link, should be of help.

Tom

Like was said before, a new version of MS Word or the Word viewer should open it.

There is a possibility that you are getting goofy symbols because your computer does not have the original font that it was written in. Try this, in word, select all of the "text", then change it to a common font, like Arial or Times New Roman. It might work like that.

Or, as already mentioned, the file might be corrupted.:doh: