Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean Air... ***Up and cleaning***

Clean Air... ***Up and cleaning***

A year or so ago I got a Delta DC at Lowes for 1/2 Off, as it was too big to keep in their tool department. I was basically brand new. I have been wanting an air filtration system to supplement the DC in keeping my shop as clean as is possible, considering I am making sawdust... My chance came up with a sale at Rockler, so I picked up the JET AFS1000B. I think it will work well in my small shop.

(Amazon pics til I get some taken of mine)

Attachment 18344

Attachment 18347

The Jet gets good reviews, and I got the updated unit...more air and still quiet.
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Nice addition. I've been eyeing similar units. Was it a sale at your local store? The website seems to have them at what I assume is the regular price of $229.99.

[Edited to add...]

Just looked at Amazon, and they have it at Rockler's price, but with free shipping. There's also a $25.00 rebate shown. Hmm...I've got a $25 Amazon gift certificate, and with the money I'm getting next weekend for selling my two benchtop drill presses (which I consider "found" money), my net cost would be about $40. I may have to ponder this...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Greg, you're going to love that filtration system. You'll be amazed at how well they work.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nice addition. I've been eyeing similar units. Was it a sale at your local store? The website seems to have them at what I assume is the regular price of $229.99.
    Good score Greg. I just changed the filters on my shop made unit (whew). Those little ambient cleaners really do pick stuff up.

Vaughn, if you don't get emails from your local store, get signed up. Corporate also has "sign up" email offers that they send out that are not part of the regular mailers.

The Ontario store near me seems to have something going on every week plus I get "Ontario" store specials that Corporate sponsors as well. This confuses me somewhat because I always here all Rockler's are family owned. There is definitely some autonomy (or rebellion) at work. San Diego sends me store mailers that are different from the Ontario store .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-06-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn, I'm on the Rockler mailing lists already, both the local and the corporate. My biggest frustration has been getting a flyer in the mail on Thursday, going to the store on Saturday or Sunday to pick up a sale item, only to find out the sale doesn't start until Monday. I know it's my own fault for not paying attention to the dates on the flyer, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Since the sales often start on Monday, the store is usually out of the sale items by the time I can get there on the weekends.

workingwoods.com

Vaughn,

You might try ordering the sale item during the sale, give the manager your card number to pay for it then, and have them hold it for a few days until you can pick it up. The people at my local store are very much customer oriented, and will help as much as they can.

I get emails from both local and corp HQ too.......and from most all other woodworking stores...

I was somewhat surprised at the size of the unit. I think I'll screw it into the ceiling joists using the supplied hardware, rather using small chains. Anyone mount one this way?

Greg, I've done what you suggested for things that were really good prices (or driven to Pasadena after work on a weekday), but often I can get equal or better prices for the same things from other sellers on the web.

In the case of the Jet air filter, my pondering is over...Amazon won. If I hate it I can always blame Greg.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Greg, I've done what you suggested for things that were really good prices (or driven to Pasadena after work on a weekday), but often I can get equal or better prices for the same things from other sellers on the web.
    Yeah, I've actually gotten a few better deals at Western Tool Supply than anywhere else...rare, but sometimes...

Amazon is still my supplier of choice, though... Remember the Bessey clamp blow-out a couple years ago....sale, plus mfg instant rebate, plus free shipping..?

In the case of the Jet air filter, my pondering is over...Amazon won.
    I checked out a lot of reviews, so I think I'm safe.. That is unless you just want to be a jerk and give me grief for the heck of it...

I did read some more on them and I think I will go with the chain or most probably solid bungie cord mount. Seems it's easier to do alone and helps dampen the vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    I think I will go with the chain or most probably solid bungie cord mount.
    Sounds like you've got it handled Greg. Just in case it helps, I hung mine from rope to dampen vibration with short, loose "just in case" chains that kick in after and inch or so in case of rope failure. Been over a year and no sign of wear on the rope. Another case of Glenn's paranoia.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    ...I think I'm safe.. That is unless you just want to be a jerk and give me grief for the heck of it... ...
    Always, my friend. Always.

workingwoods.com